STARS Capable Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

jknight988

Premium Subscriber
Hello All! I am new to the scanner world and am interested in monitoring the VSP in Virginia Beach via STARS. Can you recommend a good all around digital frequency scanner (Radio Shack/Uniden) capable of doing the job? Additionally, what type of compatible software would be required? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

-Jim-

shumadine

Get a Radio Shack Pro 106 handheld or a Pro 197 desktop. They were on sale for $400 a few weeks ago. If they're not now, then wait a few months for the sale b/c they do go on sale several times a year. (check the radio shack message board on this site b/c that's how you learn when the sales are.

Then download Starrsoft win500 and ask a guy named fmon who is a regular on this board to email you his win500 file for Hampton Roads which you can put into your scanner. You'll be up and running in no time.

Take some time to search this Virginia message board as there are lots of STARS discussions. Have fun...

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Hi Jim,

You previously posted a request on 02/17/07 regarding (BCD396T Tracks STARS). Sorry that no one replied to your question.

I don't have one but my understanding is the newer BCT396XT will track STARS. However, as stated above, the Pro-106 will track the system.

Carolina, thanks for the plug.

HankFrank

Just wanted to say that I have both the Pro-197 and Pro-106 and they are both excellent scanners. (Well, they're mostly the same scanner in different packages.) They are also the same scanners as the GRE PSR-500/600 (GRE makes them for RadioShack)

The Pro-106 (handheld) goes on sale quite a bit more often than the Pro-197 (desktop). Every few weeks they will put the 106 on sale for $399. I haven't seen the 197 on sale in a while.

If you decide on a Pro-106 you may want to get a better rubber duck antenna for VHF Hi and VHF Air... The included antenna is fine for UHF and 800 but really deaf on VHF.

jknight988

Premium Subscriber
Bought refurb PRO-96 since I heard it did a fantistic job tracking STARS. Downloaded WIN96 software. Any and all guidance in programing it to cover STARS Division 5 (Chesapeake) would be greatly appreciated.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Bought refurb PRO-96 since I heard it did a fantistic job tracking STARS.
96/2096 doesn't scan STARS very well compared to newer scanners,
Downloaded WIN96 software. Any and all guidance in programing it to cover STARS Division 5 (Chesapeake) would be greatly appreciated.
Try this p500 file.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.