STARS Division 5 Live Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GROCKSHD

Premium Subscriber
I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying it. I had a max of 7 listeners in 5 hours. I've been trying my best to monitor it as well, to make sure it isn't distorted too much. I'm gonna try and keep it going 24/7, I have a dedicated radio and computer for it, as long as the power doesn't go out or my computer freezes we should be good

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
I'm glad to hear you guys are enjoying it. I had a max of 7 listeners in 5 hours. I've been trying my best to monitor it as well, to make sure it isn't distorted too much. I'm gonna try and keep it going 24/7, I have a dedicated radio and computer for it, as long as the power doesn't go out or my computer freezes we should be good
Has an 18 second delay but sounds great.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone, I set up live audio for STARS in the Division 5 Chesapeake area. Feel free to check it out and listen to VSP in the Hampton Roads area.
Virginia STARS Division 5 Live Scanner Audio Feed

Thanks, our state is getting well covered now... I may be investing in an additional base/mobile soon (PSR-500) and I will probably set up a second feed for Colonial Heights or Petersburg. Then we will just need the other one covered to cover the Tri-Cities. What I really like about hosting here is that I can have an archive without having to record myself. Then if there is something interesting that either I missed or I want to save all I have to do is save what I want and not worry about all the everyday calls.

W4UVV

Unintended Consequences

Hey everyone, I set up live audio for STARS in the Division 5 Chesapeake area. Feel free to check it out and listen to VSP in the Hampton Roads area.
Virginia STARS Division 5 Live Scanner Audio Feed

Keep in mind the unintended consequences of such action regardless of what STARS division. Remember STARS radios can be encrypted at the flip of a switch. Broadcasting STARS comms worldwide on the internet gives "ammunition" to those in state management decision making positions to do exactly that for "security" and "safety of life" concerns.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind the unintended consequences of such action regardless of what STARS division. Remember STARS radios can be encrypted at the flip of a switch. Broadcasting STARS comms worldwide on the internet gives "ammunition" to those in state management decision making positions to do exactly that for "security" and "safety of life" concerns.

That is very true too. It is a fine line and like you said all it takes is making the right people mad and they can make STARS unmonitorable.

beastieboy101

I.e. Just now heard Div 1 Law encrypted by both users.

Great now we have another talkgroup NO ONE can listen to.

I think the idea of these online scanners is a good idea but once the users of the radio system find out they are being broadcast all over the world, they are going to want to be encrypted.
As long as you are connected to the internet (blackberry, iphone, laptop etc.) you can hear these streams; meaning criminals can access the dispatch feeds for free and escape being prosecuted. However I dont think many criminals even know there are these feeds or know how to use them.

If the police find out they are being listened to by anyone on the internet they are going to go encrypted. Which then means EVERYONE wont be able to monitor them. I know you guys hate the new legislation introduced in Illinois trying to make it a crime to rebroadcast any scanner audio over the internet, but I think it will save most of the systems from going encrypted.

Ten42

While I enjoy online monitoring I have to agree with the bad idea here. One of the original ideas for STARS was privacy, this does give them fuel for argument should they decide to use it. Again I enjoy alot of online scanning and I am not trying to point fingers and say bad, bad. I appreciate the time and investments people put into these set-ups. To the tech's working on this system, and we all know you read these post, alot of people monitoring are not the criminal element and on occasion the monitoring public has been helpful with some broadcast and has done so in a safe and sensible manner. Encrypting some parts of STARS may be inevitable, but not the system as a whole. Seems the trustworthy folks suffer for the indigent morons that often make the news.

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
Well I raised enough stink in my local town that I had people sending threatening emails, letters, etc asking I shut down my local county feed
Now this June, my town..Abingdon, VA is switching: Police, Fire, Town Works / Parks, to Mototrbo So yeah, I cant say they wouldnt have done it regardless but its food for thought.

tojohnso

My .02 is some stuff has to be encrypted. For instance, too many local and state police openly broadcast Social Security Numbers, Dates of Birth, License numbers and whatever other personally identifying information they feel the need to broadcast. I would have thought that's what the computers were for, but I understand they don't work that well. It's so bad to me that if I get pulled over, I'm going to advise the officer to use his computer and not his radio to send my info and I'll know if he/she does.

I like internet scanner feeds. They have been around for a long time...longer than radioreference has been here. I don't understand the hoopla about it since it's available locally. If something is said or heard that is "newsworthy" you can bet it will get out.

MOTORHEAD3902

Just a hint, to avoid the headache, personally- I wouldn't "advise" the officer how to check your information, it really isn't up to you. You can avoid the controversy by not getting pulled over in the first place. No offense, just saying...

Besides, not every agency has mdc's...

tojohnso

Well, I've done pretty well over the past years of not drawing attention to myself. I really don't think they know that not only can people listen to them, but with these feeds, there are archives to go back to. I take precautions to keep my information close and expect others to do the same. It's all in how you do it, and how it comes across to them. A cell phone works just as well as a computer if that's what it takes.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Well, I've done pretty well over the past years of not drawing attention to myself. I really don't think they know that not only can people listen to them, but with these feeds, there are archives to go back to. I take precautions to keep my information close and expect others to do the same. It's all in how you do it, and how it comes across to them. A cell phone works just as well as a computer if that's what it takes.

Yeah but the advice that was said above is coming from an LEO. Like he said its not up to you and I don't think the LEO pulling you over really cares what your .02 cents on that situation would be. Some might even not give you a break off of a ticket that they otherwise may have done because they are going to think "this guy is just being a smart a$$." If you get pulled and the LEO runs your info over the radio after you tell him not to, what can you do? Nothing. The LEO is just going to do it the easiest and fastest way he can which a lot of the time is going to be over the radio.

MOTORHEAD3902

They/WE are quite cognizant scannists can hear them/US. It actually doesn't cross most of their/OUR minds, as there are other more pressing issues in their/OUR day to day functions.
About the cel phone, are you suggesting the officer check info via the cel phone? Many agencies prohibit this, as the caller dialing in to the communications center cannot be reliably identified. Whats to keep random Joe Shmuckatelli from calling into the dispatch center and, claiming to be an officer, running information? Many agencies are so large, the dispatchers cannot be expected to recognize each and every officer by voice. Cel phone status and info checks are just not realistic nor are they practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.