STARS Division 5 Live Feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

appalachianscanner

Premium Subscriber
They/WE are quite cognizant scannists can hear them/US. It actually doesn't cross most of their/OUR minds, as there are other more pressing issues in their/OUR day to day functions.
About the cel phone, are you suggesting the officer check info via the cel phone? Many agencies prohibit this, as the caller dialing in to the communications center cannot be reliably identified. Whats to keep random Joe Shmuckatelli from calling into the dispatch center and, claiming to be an officer, running information? Many agencies are so large, the dispatchers cannot be expected to recognize each and every officer by voice. Cel phone status and info checks are just not realistic nor are they practical.

Excellent Point, With the wonderful invention of VOIP services you can fake (spoof) your caller id name/number. Having a pin and password for LEO to use to get through to dispatch wouldnt work in a stressful situation, etc and could be compromised just as easily. Most dispatchers rely on the same concept of caller id, ANI or similiar more advanced methods of unit identification to know who the're talking to on the radio.
Not to mention the delay, service availability, etc of a cell phone....

I asked an officer to not give my SSN over the radio way back when, this being the time you could listen to thosands of analog cell phone calls. His reply was, Well Mike my phones analog and starting next year they'll be giving you a DL # vs your SSN, I really have no option....Thankfully he was radio knowledgable (a ham), and gave me a break. Looking back to the analog hay day its a wonder anyone still has a clean identity. His closing comment was dont give anyone a reason to pull you over and your good to go. :roll:

tojohnso

Great points, especially on the cell phone. Guess that was a really dumb idea. I figured they would have personally identifying information that only the officer would know.

It's easier to say "don't give them a reason to pull you over" than to actually do that 100% of the time, especially when it comes to the speed limit. In fact, I'd say it's somewhat dangerous to actually do the speed limit given that most are exceeding it. Back in my rescue days, I asked officers what they felt caused the most accidents on highways. Everyone of them said differences in speed. Try to go faster than traffic, BAM, try to go slower than traffic, BAM. if you happen to be the poor sap at the end of the line, too bad.

With all the technology we have available, it's hard for me to understand why it's necessary to voice someone information over the air. I understand there is a cost to implementing it. But identity theft is real.

I'm in IT for a health care company. We have LOTS of hoops we have to go through to keep patient info from becoming public including DOBs and SSNs. When you go through that and turn on a scanner and hear the police freely giving the information over the air, it just gets upsetting. Surely you can understand that.

RagnarD

Premium Subscriber
In a valley that only a few know where it is
If VSP gets encrypted it is really no big deal to me. All you hear is dispatches for crashes, traffic stops and the occasional pursuit.

I'm more inclined to think interdiction units would be encrypted before the road troopers. (Even listening to the interdiction T/G's you don't hear anything really exciting).

STARS has experienced lots of growing pains and I'm curious if anyone really knows if the system is capable of handling several hundred units using full time encryption in addition to all of the users in the clear? Encryption adds overhead, it may not be alot per user, probably in the neighborhood of 10% but 10% for 250 or so simultaneous users will add up.

Motorola said this system would do alot of things like IV&D. I don't know if they still are or not but at least for a while MDT's in the cruisers were back to using a different radio. There has been environmental issues IIRC and a couple of other things as well.

No one has yet to see this system fully operational so for anyone (especially us scanner listeners) to have any idea how it will perform when it is mature is pure speculation.

I can't control if VSP goes full encryption so I don't worry about it but I don't think it will happen anytime soon. I really don't think the O/P's Internet stream is going to motivate the VSP to encrypt quicker than any plans they may have to do so.

Don't forget the real purpose of this upcoming holiday weekend. Take a moment to remember those that gave all so we can live in a county where it's possible to own a scanner and we have the right to have intelligent discussions such as this one.

Ragar

RBMTS

I noticed that the VSP Div 5 feed is no longer on the live audio system. I guess it has been taken down due to all the comments from the threads above. Sorry to see that happen but can understand both sides of the argument.

Personally I'd like to thank GROCKSHD for making the attempt to put up the feed system in the first place. It was a noble attempt. I'm sure I speak for a number of people and can say we appreciate the time you put into setting up the feed and tweaking the sound levels that made it a high-quality feed. Thank you also for dedicating your own personal radio and computer equipment for this venture.

Randy

NYCRADIO

i've never once heard nypd give over the radio anyone ssn they run you're dl# or you're non driver id number
name and d/o/b the only way i see an officer to run you're ssn number is you give him the ss card as a form of id and nothing else then it's not the officer's problem

Status
Not open for further replies.