STARS, Freescan and BC996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA4HHG

Premium Subscriber
Am re-programming my BC996XT and am having trouble with VA STARS. The database here on RadioRef lists the system as:

Project 25 Phase I

However, Freescan (latest version) "wants" to upload the datafile as a Motorola Type II. Which is the "real" format ?

Loading it as a Motorola Type II might just explain why I'm not hearing anything on the STARS network on this radio......

Thanks !!

mapoff

Feed Provider
I'm having some major problems. I've got a BCD996T and am using Freescan. I've never heard VSP. I don't see Project 25/Phase I as an option in Freescan under the "Type". I want to hear Division 6 in Salem. I've put all the frequencies for the Roanoke area, and inserted the Decimal numbers for the talk groups I want under TGID. I'm very confused and know others are doing it.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Freescan.jpg
    Freescan.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 294

mapoff

Feed Provider
I've been using that with no avail. Sorry to bomb with screenshots. Would you mind seeing if it looks correct. I'm getting nada. I don't even get a signal meter. I have a control and alternative for Roanoke County. Then I have the TGID's I want for Salem Division 6 in there.

During scanning it says ID Search which I think should give me everything on the trunks. It also says NFM.

Attachments

• Freescan2.jpg
    Freescan2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 212
  • Freescan3.jpg
    Freescan3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Freescan4.jpg
    Freescan4.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Freescan5.jpg
    Freescan5.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 215

freqhopping

The system and site types in your screenshots are correct.

Enter the control channels in a single frequency mode to see if you're even receiving them. Either a quick search or custom search.

mapoff

Feed Provider
I promise I'm normally a smart person. For Real......, but I'm not following. Under "Trunk Frequencies" I have the local Control Frequency found in Red on RR, and the "Alternate" in green. I'm not sure what APCO frequencies are but I put them in the list as well.

Are you suggesting I put the control frequency in as a convential and just listen to see if I get anything? I guess with quick search or custom you must just tune the frequencies in. What do you "control" frequencies sound like?

mapoff

Feed Provider
I tried doing a search as proposed. I don't hear anything. I have to turn the squelch all the way down and I hear only static at that time for the control channel.

mapoff

Feed Provider
Are you able to receive VSP? I'm also definitely not hearing that. Thanks for posting/getting the link. That helps alot because I'm not getting any of that when I try to listen. I have a rooftop antenna I'll try next.

mapoff

Feed Provider
So I tried tuning into 151.18250(a) and hear nothing. I was backwards when I said control channel. Its really 152.54750(c). My radio jumps from 151.7500 directly to 153.7400.

When I direct entry. I still don't hear any control noises.

freqhopping

Program a custom search from 150.0000 to 162.0000, step set to 7.5 and C-Ch Only to On. Scan that and see if there are any active control channels. You will not hear the noise. Instead, on the top line it will show something like SID:019Eh-#### on an active control channel. The #### will actually be the numbers of the site being received.

But if there is are any active comms you will hear those and the other line of the display will show the talkgroup ID.

mapoff

Feed Provider
I actually used the (c) control trunk frequency and Its saying LNK/DAT when I use the large outside antenna. The telescoping inside doesn't cut it for me.

Now that I have confidence in my control trunking frequency, do I need to put the rest of them in the list? Would I need the LCN?

Your help is astounding. Thanks.

freqhopping

Antennas are everything when it comes to receiving STARS.

It's best to program all freqs just in case there is a change in what's used as the control channel. LCN doesn't apply to this system.

kd8x

I'm having some major problems. I've got a BCD996T and am using Freescan. I've never heard VSP. I don't see Project 25/Phase I as an option in Freescan under the "Type". I want to hear Division 6 in Salem. I've put all the frequencies for the Roanoke area, and inserted the Decimal numbers for the talk groups I want under TGID. I'm very confused and know others are doing it.

Any help is appreciated.

select the P25 standard from the menu...It will work much better than the mot/p25 type.....

Status
Not open for further replies.