STARS Id?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenVa

For the last few days I've been picking up just ID tags on STARS. How do I ID these?

Just heard this one and I'll continue to log them...

Mineral Tower
ID: 4632 - traffic was a guy and girl talking about depressions, a mine, and geologist with divining rods. She signed off with "chilhowie out". I believe Chilhowie is in SWVA.

vinzep491

Identifying unknown talkgroups can be irritating just as much as it can be fun.

The easiest way you are going to ID it is to keep on listening. Listen for unit designators or locations, as well as the type of activity. Virginia's system is unique from other state systems in that it does not have alot of outside users. The radios on the system belong to state agencies, which will make it a little easier to narrow down what you are listening to.

Sometimes you can compare the talkgroup ID's number with other talkgroups already identified. For instance, on some systems they will have all of the state police talkgroup numbers run in a row, one after another. Then the forestry commision may use another string of numbers, and the EMA another.
So you may not know what talkgroup 54 is, but the database will tell you that 53 and 55 are state police (just an example), so you can kind of place it as to who may be using that channel.

But like I said, just listen, listen, listen.. and take some notes. after a while you will figure it out. Good luck.

vinzep491

After looking at the database page for the STARS system, I found out that that TGID is iun correlation with the other Department of Mines, Minerals and Energy Talkgroups (which makes perfect sense, given the type of traffic that you heard).

Now that you know the agency for sure, its just comes down to monitoring the traffic to see what area and if they use a channel name on the air. Also listen to their other channels, that way if they say to "Switch to channel XXX", and then you hear them talk on that channel, you will now know the channel name.
Good luck, and make sure you submit it to be added to the database once you ID it so others can benefit from your find.

Webodisk

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I think you found a NEW Dept of mines talkgroup, looking at the STARS page
4637 121d D MME Ops 1 Ops 1
4638 121e D MME Tac 1 Tac 1
it falls into the range

StephenVa

I'll be listening and logging more this week. Doing a remodel on the man/scanner cave and plan to clear it and load stars only while I'm working.

StephenVa

Found another today.

Fork Mountain
ID: 3029 (didn't hear the traffic on it but it had 4 hits for 28 seconds.)
Looks like an unknown dept of forestry?

vinzep491

Just keep on listening and make sure you submit the new id's to the database once you confirm your findings.

Any location info and monitoring the agencies primary talkgroups can be beneficial to IDing

StephenVa

Heard more on Fork Mountain ID:3029 just now. 2 gentlemen discussing measuring a 1,500 acre tract of timber.

StephenVa

Just keep on listening and make sure you submit the new id's to the database once you confirm your findings.

Any location info and monitoring the agencies primary talkgroups can be beneficial to IDing

I plan to. Maybe we can use this for future ID's that others find?

vinzep491

Yeah, just keep a list and take good notes. Keep posting what you find here and I'll compare it with my notes from traveling thru.

StephenVa

See 2 more in my logs for today...

Fork Mountain
ID:4627 (didn't hear traffic)
freq:151.3775
-also caught on
Bear Den Mountain
ID:4627
freq:161.8375
positive it's a mines talk group but they aren't using any identifiers

Fork Mountain
ID:2026 (didn't hear traffic)
freq:151.4075
seems to fit in conservation & recreation talk group

Last edited:

vinzep491

It's interesting to see all these new TG's popping up. It's good to see that the system is working well and to notice progress.

StephenVa

Another today.

Peters Mountain
ID:3030
freq:151.2800

I can confirm 3029 and 3030 are both Department of Forestry talk groups. I heard traffic on both today discussing fires they were fighting this afternoon.

vinzep491

I'm going to be spending some time listening the STARS in the near future and I'm going to compile your info into a list and see what I can add on with my own notes. Give it a few weeks and we should have this all fighured out and ID'd.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Another thing that I've been able to do in the past on the WVIRP is to use the RID. Once you see an RID on the unknown/new/unIDed TG, see where else that RID pops up. If it's used on a known TG, then you can judge what/who it might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.