Stars NAC Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOP2

Does anyone have the NAC codes for the following Stars sites;Pinnacle Knob,Harrisonburg,Va Beach, Rawley Springs and Glen Allen ? These are not listed in the RR table for the Virginia Starts radio system.

Thanks for your help
Mike

jemassey

Premium Subscriber
The NAC for Virginia Beach is 195. I've submitted a database update request with that information.

Joe

TOP2

Thanks for the reply's, hopefully someone will pipe up with the others. Be nice to get the data base updated RR as there are more sites out there that need to be updated.
Mike

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Harrisonburg is 199h. Rawley Springs is 19Eh.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Below are the Site NAC's that I have discovered, or personally verified in my area. Only started looking at this value two weeks ago.

SITE NAC...RFSS DEC (Hex)...Site DEC (Hex)...RF Site Name..........County
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
$19c.......2 ($02)..........001 ($01)........Long Mountain.........Campbell
$190.......2 ($02)..........005 ($05)........Bear Den Mountain.....Albemarle
$19a.......2 ($02)..........006 ($06)........Hightop Mountain......Nelson
$193.......2 ($02)..........018 ($12)........Fort Lewis Mountain...Roanoke
$197.......2 ($02)..........019 ($13)........Bull Mountain.........Patrick
$19b.......2 ($02)..........020 ($14)........White Oak Mountain....Pittsylvania
$193.......2 ($02)..........022 ($16)........North Mountain........Alleghany
$191.......2 ($02)..........025 ($19)........Apple Orchard.........Bedford
$19d.......2 ($02)..........031 ($1F)........Elliott Knob..........Augusta
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

More to come.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. The majority that I see are 190. Clearly a different story out west.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
Different Technicians doing the installations had different ideas on what the individual NAC's for the sites would be? (...just a theory)

A bigger question for me is WHY different NACs. I mostly notice them during federal searches when I get all excited about clear voice and then see a NAC in the 190's which cools my jets. WV SIRN seems to consistently show 170. To me, the fact of trunking would seem to obviate the need for squelch coding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Large systems with multiple sites may need to vary the NAC at each site to mitigate interference while still using the System ID to identify the system.

The the System NAC will oftentimes by default be the same as the System ID.

The Technician can change this when necessary.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. The majority that I see are 190. Clearly a different story out west.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Everything out here was always 190. I thought it was the same for the whole system until someone angrily informed me on here that it wasn't.

Recently as in a couple of months ago the NACs on all the sites I can get were changed. Don't ask me why. I updated the DB with the new codes on everything I could pick up.

John

Premium Subscriber
What is interesting to me is I don't see anywhere in the actual Motorola programming software for their portable or field radios where you can set a NAC per site. So if the radios are actually using this there must be some kind of formula to determine what the correct NAC would be. Unless I am completely missing it.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Site NAC's in Harris Radios

If you are not using the ENHANCED CC SCAN function, or don't have it enabled in the radio ($$$ feature), you must designate the Site NAC in the programming.

The value always defaults to the SYSTEM NAC value, but you can change it to reflect the individual site you want to access.

The below image shows an example of how it is done...

Last edited:

John

Premium Subscriber
I know about the Validate NAC and the NAC in RPM but none of those define a NAC per SITE unless you make each site a different system. Which would seem to be against the whole process of having a wide area system where you freely roam from site to site. If you system only has a single NAC in it and there are different NACs for each site.

trumpetman

Database Admin
The NAC is broadcast in the control channel data stream. That's how the radio knows what to use and how control channel decoding software knows what NAC is used per site.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I know about the Validate NAC and the NAC in RPM but none of those define a NAC per SITE unless you make each site a different system. Which would seem to be against the whole process of having a wide area system where you freely roam from site to site. If you system only has a single NAC in it and there are different NACs for each site.

In large systems, where frequencies are re-used at different sites but not multi-cast, different NAC are used to bring up the desired site. STARS has always used multiple NACs although the group ID was always 190, the NAC at many sites was not. There are other systems like this including Justice IWN which in DC area is group ID 010 but NAC is either 010 or 011 (for a site using frequencies used by another site). So the NAC in such cases is not defined "per site" but changed at sites where using the same NAC could cause problems with another non-simulcast site using the same frequencies.

GmanX

Premium Subscriber
In large systems, where frequencies are re-used at different sites but not multi-cast, different NAC are used to bring up the desired site. STARS has always used multiple NACs although the group ID was always 190, the NAC at many sites was not. There are other systems like this including Justice IWN which in DC area is group ID 010 but NAC is either 010 or 011 (for a site using frequencies used by another site). So the NAC in such cases is not defined "per site" but changed at sites where using the same NAC could cause problems with another non-simulcast site using the same frequencies.

Ding Ding Ding We have a winner

Status
Not open for further replies.