STARS - not hearing it (Similar to the BC996XT Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
I loaded up the PSR800 with the STARS frequencies, but it's totally silent. Do I have to do something with 'tables' here (like I did with my 996XT) or should I automatically have the correct stuff when the 800 library is updated?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I loaded up the PSR800 with the STARS frequencies, but it's totally silent. Do I have to do something with 'tables' here (like I did with my 996XT) or should I automatically have the correct stuff when the 800 library is updated?

You should have everything after the library update. What steps did you take to select everything to monitor? Did you load the data into a scanlist on the scanner or within the EZScan software? Did you make sure you selected the sites near you? Did you select the TGs you wanted? As a test, just load them all (sites and TGs) and see what happens.

My PSR-800 has always worked perfectly with STARS.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
Me as well. I've enabled all the Fairfax channels and all the Culpeper channels but the radio remains silent (and uses the straight-from-the-library (update 125) frequencies and trunking information).

Any ideas?

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
I have *all* 102 sites enabled (or not 'locked out' or 'attenuated') and the data decode threshold set to 'Auto' (low: 88; high: 95). Mode=FM. Still is silent.

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
I've done that but the scanner remains silent over a two day test.

Try just selecting one or two sites. In your case Mt Weather and/or Fairfax. I don't know if I would want all the sites turned on. When I tried that my scanner did not pick any STARS up. Not saying that is your problem but it is worth a try.

brownlab

Washington DC, Alexandria/Fairfax County /Loudoun
OK, my next guess is your antenna. If you are using the stock rubber duck that came with the unit, then that could certainly be your problem. If you are in Ashburn then you would probably have no problem picking up Loudoun since there are transmitters located very near your home. However you would be between two STARS sites (Fairfax and Mt Weather) and that little rubber duck may not cut it. But before you lay out another 20 bucks at RS for thier 800 MHZ antenna (not my favorite but better than the stock one) I might take a drive down I-66 where I think the Fairfax STARS site is located and see if you pick it up over there. If you do then that is your problem. If you still do not hear any VSP then I think you may have somehow incorrectly programmed STARS. Anyways STARS reception can be difficult even with a better rubber duck type of antenna. For example, STARS comes in sporadically in my living room but works great in my kitchen. Go figure. Anyhow if you are receiving Loudoun then there should be no reason other than reception that you are not hearing STARS. Good luck and let us know when you figure it out.

Jeff

mikev

I'm in Leesburg, closer to Mount Weather, and I definitely have issues receiving STARS with a rubber duck. Even a VHF-tuned rubber duck provides very intermittent reception at home. On the go it's a little better. But I have Mount Weather programmed as its own TSYS because that's about all I can get from home, so no sense trying any of the other sites.

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
The rubber dummy load has never been on the scanner. I'm using an 2m/70cm/800Mhz mobile antenna on a magnetic mount stuck to the top of my nearby computer tower.

brownlab

It is still either a reception or a programming issue and your current antenna set up could possibly be interfering with your STARS reception. As I said, easiest way to determine which one it is would be to take your radio to a known location close to a STARS site (such as Fairfax). I am sorry you are having so much trouble but the unit will program and receive STARS. Your other option is to log in to the GRE site and ask them for guidance. GRE has excellent customer support and will respond quickly to any question.

N4OGL

Premium Subscriber
Yes - I am frustrated, too. You'd think that, since I'm getting excellent reception on the Loudoun system, i should get equally good reception on the more-easily-propagatable VHF STARS system. I'll see if there is a Library update this weekend and, if that doesn't fix it, GRE will get a trouble ticket from me.

It is still either a reception or a programming issue and your current antenna set up could possibly be interfering with your STARS reception. As I said, easiest way to determine which one it is would be to take your radio to a known location close to a STARS site (such as Fairfax). I am sorry you are having so much trouble but the unit will program and receive STARS. Your other option is to log in to the GRE site and ask them for guidance. GRE has excellent customer support and will respond quickly to any question.

brownlab

Yes, things like this drive me nuts. For example I cannot get STARS in Alexandria at my place on the river but Alexandria and Fairfax County comes in clear as a bell on both the Uniden 996XT and 800. Fairfax does have a patch for the VSP but I do not get the other agencies like the Game Wardens or Forestry. I have pretty much given up trying to get STARS down there. Here in Loudoun, I have to say that my 996XT does a better job receiving STARS that the 800 although they both receive the system. Anyhow yes, see what GRE has to say. I have found them to be very responsive even replying to my questions on the weekends. Please let us know when you figure it out. I am pretty sure that eventually you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.