STARS Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofcbjjohnson

Premium Subscriber
I'm farily new at wanting to monitor STARS. What scanner is best to do so? I'm looking for a mobile/base version. My primary interest is to monitor VSP frequencies. I am currently looking at the Radio Shack PRO-163...would that work?

Thanks in advance!

fulkg1

WX4F
Premium Subscriber
STARS near Fancy Gap, VA

FYI - I just got a Uniden BCD996XT this week, and using the ARC XT PRO software with Radio Reference import capability. This is a DREAM on STARS (and the NC VIPER system). Very quickly pick the sites and talkgroups you want ...... and within a few seconds ...... you are ready to listen. This set-up is a little pricey, but it potentially saves hours of manual entry. I have a Home Patrol and a GRE PSR 600, and so far I really like the 996XT the best (some of which is related to the ARC 996 software for sure). I get STARS from the Beamer Knob and Bull Mountain sites, and am hearing all State Police from Wytheville and Salem. For me, the 996XT is the best of both worlds verus a Home Patrol (more user friendly in my opinion, but with the RR import feature by using XT PRO software).

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
FYI - I just got a Uniden BCD996XT this week, and using the ARC XT PRO software with Radio Reference import capability. This is a DREAM on STARS (and the NC VIPER system). Very quickly pick the sites and talkgroups you want ...... and within a few seconds ...... you are ready to listen. This set-up is a little pricey, but it potentially saves hours of manual entry. I have a Home Patrol and a GRE PSR 600, and so far I really like the 996XT the best (some of which is related to the ARC 996 software for sure). I get STARS from the Beamer Knob and Bull Mountain sites, and am hearing all State Police from Wytheville and Salem. For me, the 996XT is the best of both worlds verus a Home Patrol (more user friendly in my opinion, but with the RR import feature by using XT PRO software).

FreeSCAN is well, free and has RR DB import too. Just worth looking into if you go for *96XT Uniden scanner.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.