STARS Site numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Is there a list anywhere on how the STARS transmitter sites are numbered? Is there a simple document anywhere on the logic used?
Also when a site has site neighbors, is there a list for that or a simple logic document on it?
I have searched and searched for this without success.

Thanks.

troymail

Silent Key
Is there a list anywhere on how the STARS transmitter sites are numbered? Is there a simple document anywhere on the logic used?
Also when a site has site neighbors, is there a list for that or a simple logic document on it?

Thanks.

While it is possible someone might be able (and willing) to provide this type of information, it likely isn't something fully in the public domain. This best you'll get will probably be the information on the RRDB based on submissions by other RR members. In any cases, even the specifics on the towers themselves are not something always readily available.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Troy. I have already went through the RRDB list. I would really like to know what sites are used to cover specific ares as in districts or divisions. I would then scan by those defined areas. Which seems simple to me but apparently is a guarded issue. LOL

troymail

Silent Key
Thanks, Troy. I have already went through the RRDB list. I would really like to know what sites are used to cover specific ares as in districts or divisions. I would then scan by those defined areas. Which seems simple to me but apparently is a guarded issue. LOL

With large multi-site systems like STARS, VIPER, and FiRST (and even on some smaller county level systems), there's little to no guarantee which users and talkgroups will be active on any site. In many cases, you'll find a talkgroup for a particularly set of users is carried on one or more sites on a regular basis. However, you'll also hear that same talkgroup occasionally on "fringe" sites where one minute the talkgroup is active there and the next it is not (caused by radios drfiting into and affiliating with a site in the "fringe" area and then leaving that area).

In "theory", any users can be active on any/all sites - that is, unless the system owners/admins configure certain sites to reject certain radios/user sets - and this is not uncommon. Some talkgroups will be "forced" active on all sites (i.e. fire dispatch) will other talkgroups will be limited to the county (or smaller) they are designed for and those counties/sites immediately adjacent. There are many, many possibilities.

QDP2012

Thanks.
Thanks, that will work. I seen that map before, somewhere.. LOL

You probably saw it in the Wiki, where there is a lot of information about the STARS TRS, including links to the maps, and the set of Travel Reference (VA) pages, one of which lists the towers and the Divisions in which the towers are located. See the last link below for that table. It does not explain the nomenclature-logic.

RR Wiki: Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS)

Travel Reference (VA)

Travel Reference (VA) STARS Sites and Nearby Routes List

Hope this helps,

Last edited:

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening

Thanks.

The site numbers are transmitted as part of the P-25 Superframe Packet every 360mS over the Control Channel.

The "neighbors" if transmitted, are also part of the same Superframe Packet, and can include up to six(6) adjacent RF Sites. This is most often referred to as the ADJACENCY TABLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.