STARS trunking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyjim30

Premium Subscriber
I have a PRO-164 scanner and I'm struggling mightily with the trunking feature. If anyone could offer some step-by-step instructions for how to program in the Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS), specifically as it applies to King William County, King and Queen County, and Virginia State Police District 2 I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

Highpockets

I have a PRO-164 scanner and I'm struggling mightily with the trunking feature. If anyone could offer some step-by-step instructions for how to program in the Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS), specifically as it applies to King William County, King and Queen County, and Virginia State Police District 2 I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

If this is the system your talking about, the 164 won't montor it, you'll need a digital scanner.

Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) Trunking System, Statewide, Virginia - Scanner Frequencies

crazyjim30

Premium Subscriber
I had no idea that my PRO-164 couldn't receive the STARS channel. I feel a bit like an idiot. I gave up on that idea and went to program in the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield system that's on a Motorola II trunking system. It seemed to work. I actually got the TGID's programmed right and the control channels setup. I even saw the numbers jump off of 00%. However, I'm not hearing anyone talk. All I'm hearing is a loud and headache-inducing buzz. Did I miss a step in the setup? Do I need to program in all of the other channels in the frequency table.

DickH

I had no idea that my PRO-164 couldn't receive the STARS channel. I feel a bit like an idiot. I gave up on that idea and went to program in the Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield system that's on a Motorola II trunking system. It seemed to work. I actually got the TGID's programmed right and the control channels setup. I even saw the numbers jump off of 00%. However, I'm not hearing anyone talk. All I'm hearing is a loud and headache-inducing buzz. Did I miss a step in the setup? Do I need to program in all of the other channels in the frequency table.

That "buzz" is the data stream that is sent and received by the control channel.
But that's all moot, because that is also a digital system.

crazyjim30

Premium Subscriber
At this point it wouldn't take much to persuade me to throw the thing in the trash. Programming the trunking feature has been one of the most frustrating things I've experienced in a while. What's the point of putting the feature on the scanner if it never works?

Highpockets

At this point it wouldn't take much to persuade me to throw the thing in the trash. Programming the trunking feature has been one of the most frustrating things I've experienced in a while. What's the point of putting the feature on the scanner if it never works?

It will most likely work fine on an analog system, you trying to put a digital systems in an analog scanner. Take your time, you'll get it. Do some more research and reading on analog and digital systems.

DickH

I can give you step-by-step programming for a trunking system, but the systems you want to monitor are digital so you won't receive any audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.