STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE6BRW

I've been monitoring quite a lot scene I broke my leg, and have noticed that STARS UHF here in GP seams to have gone quite. I see them fly over the house and hear them on YQU also FD's confirming their launching. Have they totally switched over to AFRRCS and shut down their UHF system, how about Edm and Cal anything from your ends of the province.

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
They are on AFRRCS for on-scene communications using MA11 or dedicated TAC channel as per individual dispatch.

There is also direct communication with STARS from EMS via MDT in real time.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Lot of confusion today as to what channel/frequency to use on a scene call.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
My answer is from the point of view of programming your scanner. Simply put in both. Most landing zones will be handled by the local fire department who do not have access to AHS Channel 16. So far they have used AFRRCS 1 to 5. I'm not sure if AFRRCS or the Province will set up a Provincial Ambulance or Fire Simplex channel. AHS 16 could easily become Provincial Ambulance.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
STARS has (encrypted) talkgroups on AFRRCS which seem to be linked to their 400 MHz analog channels. I generally see only one RID on the talkgroup (on PRO96COM etc) when hearing 400 MHz activity, so I am presuming the channel is just patched and everybody is doing most of their comms on the analog aircraft radios for now.

When they do go onto the MA channels, they do seem to use either portables or mobiles directly in the helicopter (different IDs than the above channel). I'm presuming they're mostly portables but I have no evidence to back that up.

I think there might be mobiles in the new Airbus machines as a few new IDs have popped up affiliating on PRO96COM while those machines have been on training flights in my area.

As for landing zones, they continue to be able to talk on Provincial Ambulance (VHF) for those who still have access to it - aircraft radios are rather agile frequency-wise in the analog realm of course. My understanding is that AFRRCS Simplex 01 is the default LZ channel for AFRRCS users. That's what I've been instructed to teach my fire crews. And I'm 99% sure that SIM01 is not the same freq as AHS SATCOM.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I think there might be mobiles in the new Airbus machines as a few new IDs have popped up affiliating on PRO96COM while those machines have been on training flights in my area.

As for landing zones, they continue to be able to talk on Provincial Ambulance (VHF) for those who still have access to it - aircraft radios are rather agile frequency-wise in the analog realm of course.

They are likely using Technisonic aircraft LMR radios with minimum of 3 bands(VHF, UHF-R1 and 700/800MHz). The Technisonic radios now use APX portables for the RF, interfaced to their(Technisonic) chassis.

TDFM-9000 – Technisonic Industries Ltd.

This is the top end model and it supports 6x APX8000 all band portables in one chassis.

This also has the capability to integrate other, external comm systems(Satellite based) as well. I don’t know what specifically though.

I don’t know what radio they are actually using, but Technisonic is likely what they are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

redtalon

STARS has (encrypted) talkgroups on AFRRCS which seem to be linked to their 400 MHz analog channels. I generally see only one RID on the talkgroup (on PRO96COM etc) when hearing 400 MHz activity, so I am presuming the channel is just patched and everybody is doing most of their comms on the analog aircraft radios for now.

When they do go onto the MA channels, they do seem to use either portables or mobiles directly in the helicopter (different IDs than the above channel). I'm presuming they're mostly portables but I have no evidence to back that up.

As for landing zones, they continue to be able to talk on Provincial Ambulance (VHF) for those who still have access to it - aircraft radios are rather agile frequency-wise in the analog realm of course. My understanding is that AFRRCS Simplex 01 is the default LZ channel for AFRRCS users. That's what I've been instructed to teach my fire crews. And I'm 99% sure that SIM01 is not the same freq as AHS SATCOM.
RCMP are also being instructed to use AFRRCS Simplex 1 for STARS.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Interesting hearing STARS 11 flying to Alberta Childrens Hospital in Calgary Wednesday evening. STARS 1 had flown to BC so was unavailable to transport injured from MVC near Oyen so STARS 11 was used along with HALO to bring an adult to Foothills Medical Centre.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
HALO is one of the two "other" medevac helicopter outfits in Alberta besides STARS. HALO is based out of Medicine Hat, and uses AHSEMS medics from the Hat with a dedicated helicopter. They normally stay in the Hat/Lethbridge corridor, but there have been a few rare cases they've transported into the Calgary area.

HERO is the other, and is Phoenix Heli-Flight out of Fort McMurray. Unsure if they use AHSEMS medics there.

HALO is dispatched by the ELC as far as I know and mainly stays exclusively on AHS SCC AFRRCS channels (i.e. SCC MA11).

maplebear

Premium Subscriber

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Thanks Jay. I know there was HEMS in SE Alberta, but have never known their name.

I follow HERO on Facebook. It’s one sexy paint job on that helo. Phoenix Heliflight has beautiful paint on all their machines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.