• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Start up screen G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

bep

Premium Subscriber
First off, I am finally able to monitor my area system and actually hear something, each and every time! I am now really aware of how bad the signal, at my home location, really is.

Quick question - Sometimes when I turn on the G5 there is the start up screen with the dots along the bottom. Other times I turn it on and it goes right into scan mode. Normal?

Thanks

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I noticed the pager starts up with the dots after you:

- remove and reinsert the battery
- finish programming the pager with PPS

To me, the dots screen looks like an "OS boot", but that's just a guess.

bep

Premium Subscriber
The times I have noticed it is random. Either from charging, or sitting in the off position over night. Also one time, I just remembered, I happen to be looking at it, what it was receiving, and it started with the dots.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have a G4, and I haven't seen that behavior (I just got my G4 earlier this month). I only see the dots as I described above.

ecarvalho

My G5 does that sometimes. I just disregard it since it works well after that. Might be a bug

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
I have 2 G4 units.
One i use a lot and the other a fathers day gift for my dad once his city switches to P25.

The one i use daily i have seen it happen a few times NOT associated with battery pull or firmware update.
That is the OS resetting its self.
I agree with @eorange to me it seems to be an OS reboot or refresh.
Maybe the G5 has it happening more often due to it having dual band capabilities and putting more usage on the processor.

ecarvalho

571d065ece87cfc242040f4e24225a9b.jpg

I can't force it to duplicate the problem so it only happens at random...

bep

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all. All in all a great little unit. For me it is a god send. Actually works. Now I can free up my no so great Uniden for other things

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I've heard it has different 'sleep' states. I'd guess the boot screen is coming out of an ultra deep-sleep / battery saver / closest to truly off it can get.

ChrisE_STB

CA Database Admin
Database Admin
The dots are when the pager is doing a full boot up, when the pager turns on right away it is coming out of Soft Power down mode.

David_Oney

Former Unication Tech Support
Premium Subscriber
The unit has 2 power down modes. It has a low power mode and a fully powered down mode. When the unit is powered off it goes into a low power state for an hour or so and then powers completely down. The dots are the OS loading screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.