Starting 2007 Tahoe Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
As many of you know I had a 2005 Tahoe with dual scanners and NMO Antennas mounted on the roof. I have since traded my 05 Tahoe for a mint very low miles 07 Tahoe. The only problem I had with my old setup was I could never park it in a garage. The new project I wanted to do something different and cleaner.

I have started by ordering Jotto Console and faceplates which will be here next week. If you seen 2011 GMC Yukon post, my setup will be just like his except I'm only mounting a scanner (996XT and soon a BCD536HP). No ham gear on this install like his. Maybe I'll add the HP-1 like he did his Ham Radio remote head later down the road if I want to expand to a second scanner.

The hard part was coming up with a way to mount my antenna. I still have my Larson and Maxrad Tri-band antennas but I don't want to drill into the roof this time and I don't like the look of the L-bracket fender mount. I also want to keep this Tahoe in the garage. My last one took a beating being outside all the time.

Well after doing some search I came up with the perfect mounting solution. My Tahoe doesn't have a standard FM antenna aerial, it's embedded in the glass. I took off the front right vent cover (held on with 3 clips) and noticed I could mount an NMO were the factory antenna would go. I test fitted a standard Laird Tech MB8 NMO but it was just shy of fitting over the lip of the metal. The hole is a perfect size. I have since order a Laird Tech MABT8 (metal thickness from 3/16" to 1/4"). It will work out perfectly. Once I install the NMO, then I attach the antenna and simply put the cover back on. It will look like a factory antenna. I will either drill the current cover or order one on eBay with a hole already in place.

More pictures to come as the project advances but I wanted to pass on what I came up with so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,596
  • IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,599
Last edited:

Sharkbait08

Good location. I'm considering the same thing for my 2014 Sierra 1500. The "L" brackets fit, but only just clearing the top of the fender. It'll work for now until I drill the driver side in that same spot...

Post some more pics once you get the antenna in place!

wise871

Database Admin
More pics to come. Just waiting for all the parts to arrive. Hopefully by next weekend I will complete the project.

wise871

Database Admin
Well the NMO cable arrived and I installed the antenna. I had to get a steal washer to install below the hole to help the teeth grab into something due to the factory gab. I also removed the Teflon gasket and o-ring seal that came with the NMO. There was no need since this is not a roof mount and now I got good metal to metal contact top and bottom of the mount. I still need my BNC crimps but I tested the scanner and signal is great. Tomorrow my Jotto gear arrives.

Attachments

• IMG_0925.jpg
    IMG_0925.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,221
  • IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,197
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 2,325

wise871

Database Admin
I decided to use my Larsen Tri-bander seeing it was shorter than my Maxrad Tri-bander and I went ahead and drilled a hole in the cover panel. The new one with a factory hole will be here later this week but what the heck.

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 2,184
  • IMG_0931.jpg
    IMG_0931.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2,176
  • IMG_0932.jpg
    IMG_0932.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,222
Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
FYI when we do sti-co undercover antennas for the .GOV that is where we mount them with the look alike AM/FM antennas

wise871

Database Admin
The Jotto gear has arrived. And the viewing angle is fine for me in this configuration.

Attachments

• IMG_0933.jpg
    IMG_0933.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,467
  • IMG_0934.jpg
    IMG_0934.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2,878

bear780ks

Great Install

When i Seen that at first I thought how in Heck is that going to work but the further I looked the better it Got:D, that's a Great place to put the antenna were the Factory one went or might have went and use Firewall hole that the factory antenna traveled through.. K-bear

Really like were Radios are Mounted.. ready for some more pictures..

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Well I just finished securing all the loose wires and tighten everything down. The project only took me two days. If I ever want to restore the vehicle back to factory specs it will only take a few minutes. Nothing that was done was permeant or drilled. Another nice thing about this configuration is I'll simply swap out radios when the BCD436/536HP is released. I've already run my line for the Garmin GPS-18x.

I hope this install provided some help for those interested. I know I get a lot of ideas from others installs.

P.S. Still wish I could have drill the roof but keeping it in the garage is a must right now. That could change in a few years. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0935.jpg
    IMG_0935.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 3,286

bear780ks

Whoa I like that I wished we had a Center console like that in our Truck but I think there's a console available that can set in front of the center seat in our Truck I'd like to get one and put my radio in there) you got a great set up looks great.. K-bear.

bear780ks

When i was asking about this I forgot to ask, I'm sorry :roll: how much was the mount the 996 is setting in and the Antenna that you got if it's Ok to share..

I think the antenna I can get through the person I get my scanners from the mount though that would have to be ordered and sent via Fed-Ex or UPS..

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Which jotto bracket is that for the 996? Do you think it fits well and is that the standard depth?

wise871

Database Admin
Lets see if I can answer some of the questions.

First all the Jotto gear was purchased from SWPS.COM. There prices are way cheaper and the parts ship directly from Jotto.

redbeard - The 996XT bracket is (425-6297 - Jotto Desk BCT15 - BCD 996T - $24.86). Seeing my 2007 console is not full depth as a standard console I did have to cut some of it down to fit. Again, this is only for 425-6112 - Jotto Desk Tahoe 07+ Insert- (9"" FP). My 996XT is as deep as it can go due to the Tahoe factory console design.

Larry - I'm using the Proclip 215052 "Button and Belt Clip Holder (Small)". I added the soft side of sticky velcro to pads the clip so the 396XT doesn't move.

Bear780ks - The mount is 425-6297 - Jotto Desk BCT15 - BCD 996T - $24.86 from SWPS.Com. The antenna I had for sometime and can be purchased anywhere for a decent price.

One of the small issues I ran into was if I put the cup holder all the way forward I loose the ability to hold drinks and use my 12vdc plugs. When I tried to angle the 996XT slightly aft in the bracket, the XT would hit against the cup holders in it's current configuration.

The way I have it now, I can clearly see the display from the drivers seat. What I have noticed and I'm sure others will tell you, when a scanner is mounted vertical it doesn't matter what color your display is during the day, the outside light makes it look like the color is turned off. Now at night this is not a problem. Those of you who mount horizontal in your vehicles don't have this problem.

The way I have it works best. I can manipulate the scanner with my arm on the armrest and access my drink holders comfortably. If I had the holder far forward then I would be reaching. I was also able to find actual RG-58 BNC Crimp connectors today. Wow does that make a big improvement on my reception. I was using a twist on for a day which was ok, but no where near as a professional crimp.

Last edited:

bear780ks

Hey Dan again thanks for the info..

And if your on the road heading some were for Turkey day have a safe Trip and enjoy listening to your scanner.:) Bear

Status
Not open for further replies.