Starting out never used a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samplebridge

I got a Radio Shack Pro 2096 and I programmed the couple frequencies off this site. I'm currently messing around with it in Indiana PA but I live in Cumberland County PA. What should I do after just typing in the frequencies for my area so far I haven't got nothing. Also it says Indiana PA uses project 25 Phase 2 if that has anything to do with it.

Basically I'm asking what should I first do with my scanner if I don't know what to do.

kma371

QRT
Two things, Indiana County does appear to use a Phase II trunked system. Your scanner does not decode Phase II systems.

Secondly, Cumberland County appears to use a OpenSky trunked system. Your scanner does not decode OpenSky systems.

So that begs the question, what is it that you are trying/wanting to listen to? People have different interests. Planes? Trains? business? public safety?

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello Samplebridge:

PA has many systems that operate on radio systems that the Pro-2096 will not decode, but if you ask your question on the Pennsylvania forums, you may get some answers from members there that are more familiar with what might be available to you and your scanner.

I hope this will help you out.

Best wishes,

Russell

teufler

Use the RR Database. You can search out your location and see what is available to listen to on your scanner. Regretfully, it will be around $400, give or take, to get into the game now on your public service. To complicate things further, public service venues are messing with encryption. That mode NOBODY has a scanner that decodes that. Here on the Forums there has been extensive discussion about the pro's and con's. Police feel the bad guys can listen to their calls, heck the good guys have trouble listening to calls.

N8IAA

I got a Radio Shack Pro 2096 and I programmed the couple frequencies off this site. I'm currently messing around with it in Indiana PA but I live in Cumberland County PA. What should I do after just typing in the frequencies for my area so far I haven't got nothing. Also it says Indiana PA uses project 25 Phase 2 if that has anything to do with it.

Basically I'm asking what should I first do with my scanner if I don't know what to do.

Even though Indiana county is on a Phase II system, its TGID's are "D' for Phase I, not 'T' for TDMA ( which are used on Phase II. One problem you may have receiving is that Phase II systems tend to be lower power than Phase I and old analog. You may need a gain antenna to monitor.
HTH,
Larry

Samplebridge

Just want to listen to police and fire channels. Really whatever may be interesting going over the air.

Samplebridge

What do you think I would be able to listen to in Cumberland,perry,and York county and in Harrisburg. And I plan on upgrading at some point. Which scanners would be the best to upgrade to for my area.

Status
Not open for further replies.