Starts, reboots, starts, reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Came home to find the 536 turning off (blank display), then load favorites, reboots and then it starts the cycle all over again. It never stops. Please tell me this is something many have seen.

Ideas please, and thank you

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Came home to find the 536 turning off (blank display), then load favorites, reboots and then it starts the cycle all over again. It never stops. Please tell me this is something many have seen.
Ideas please, and thank you

As mentioned by Randy above, any time the SD card scanners start behaving oddly, always eliminate the possibility of SD card problems first. It's very likely that's the problem, and it's very easy and quick to rule out as the source of the problem.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Thank you. I saw similar posts but none spoke on the cycling. Will have to oder a new card and wait.

Thanks again

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
If you've been recording, the SD card is full and that's the behavior it will exhibit. Clear the recordings if needed..

bep

Premium Subscriber
No never recorded. Scanner has been on 24/7 for at least three years with it off only on vacation for over a week.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
No never recorded. Scanner has been on 24/7 for at least three years with it off only on vacation for over a week.

Reformat the card, reload your favorite lists and see if that helps. SD cards can be found in electronic stores or on line if needed. I've always had back-ups just in case.

Dewey

You may very well already know this, but if you were not aware, just a FYI... Since you mentioned you run your 536 24/7, but do not record, make sure that you have the "Replay Option / Replay Duration" set to OFF if you also do not use the "Replay" feature. If not, your 536 is still writing small segments of recordings (whatever you have the replay duration set to) to the memory card, which naturally is accelerating the wear and tear on the memory card.

bep

Premium Subscriber
No, I did not know that. When I get home I will see what the settings are set to after I get a new card. Thanks for the heads up.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Just reformatted the original one, no change. I am order ing a new one today
Did you use the "clear user data" function in Sentinel after formatting the card?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
No I did not
A new (or newly reformatted) SD card will not be recognized by the scanner until you use the "Clear User Data" function in Sentinel.

The scanner won't boot up even with a newly formatted card until you use the clear user data function... that puts the necessary operating files that the scanner needs on to the card. Be sure to check the box that says "display all drives" in the pop-up window when using clear user data, and be sure your SD card is selected there.... and then click "OK".

If you haven't already, best to download and use this utility (recommended by Uniden) for formatting the card.

bep

Premium Subscriber
I think the SD is toast. Scanner tells me, for the first time, to clear used data. I have checked display all drives, but nothing is in the window to select.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I think the SD is toast. Scanner tells me, for the first time, to clear used data. I have checked display all drives, but nothing is in the window to select.

Check the box DISPLAY ALL DRIVES.

(and agreed this sounds like a card going bad)

Ubbe

Scanner tells me, for the first time, to clear used data.
That's because you formatted the SD card and it's now working but you didn't put the necessary files on it by using the clear used data function. The SD card are probably not toast, it just needed its file system to be sorted out. Perhaps the scanner lost power when it was in the middle of writing to the card and trashed the structure of the file system. You then only have to reformat and do Clear User Data to restore to a fully functioning mode, after you have programmed it again.

It's a good idea to always have a spare card, at hand, programmed identical to the original one to be used if a problem happens again.

/Ubbe

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
That's because you formatted the SD card and it's now working but you didn't put the necessary files on it by using the clear used data function.

/Ubbe

Ubbe

Just reformatted the original one, no change.
It's impossible to format a SD card without it being recognized in Windows, so should be fine to use with Sentinel. It sounds as if the failing SD card where not the original one. Don't use bigger than 32GB and some brands and types might be incompatible in some way or the other.

/Ubbe

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

Did you Write to Scanner after you did this? You have to put your programming back on the card since it's wiped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.