Startup Keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
I love the idea of the startup keys on the 996.

However, if you use the startup key, you cannot add other systems back in. When you do, if they have a different start up key, then the number lights up, but it is really "locked out".

I read in a thread (I did search before posting) the suggestion to program all systems with one number and the one you want to listen to the most with a different startup key (a duplicate system).

Here's why it's a problem:

I have about 80 systems programmed.

I have ~6000 channels programmed.

If I make the slightest change and reprogram the scanner, I have to go through and de-select every system that I don't want to hear!

It would be great if I could simply use the startup key and then add in the other systems as I want to listen to them.

Seems like it would be a simple thing to change?

So, there is my suggestion. Have the startup key work not by locking out other systems, but simply de-selecting all but the ones with the same startup key.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you assign a startup key to some, but no startup keys to the others it will work as you say. Systems w/o keys are unaffected by the Startup Key "toggle". So if, for example, you have 10 systems set with SK1 and the other 70 with no SK, powering up w/1 will "add" those 10 systems. Powering up w/2 will "delete" those 10 systems.

Of course, if you have more than one set of systems you want to toggle this way, that won't work.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
UPMan said:
If you assign a startup key to some, but no startup keys to the others it will work as you say. Systems w/o keys are unaffected by the Startup Key "toggle". So if, for example, you have 10 systems set with SK1 and the other 70 with no SK, powering up w/1 will "add" those 10 systems. Powering up w/2 will "delete" those 10 systems.

Of course, if you have more than one set of systems you want to toggle this way, that won't work.

PERFECT. That's what I will do then.

I knew I was missing a step here.

Thanks friend.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
While I appreciate your answer, as I think about it...it won't work for me.

If I program all but one bank with "none" and one bank with "1". It really makes no difference.

I want to be able to start up with one bank and add the other banks as I want to after reprogramming the scanner. Going through and "de-selecting" each of the 80 banks is a pain.

Maybe I misunderstood?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Well, you could always write the systems to the scanners with their system quick keys disabled...

Status
Not open for further replies.