STAT MedEvac coming to Jefferson County

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Thanks to STA75 for giving me the scoop beforehand.

From WTOV.Com - http://www.wtov9.com/news/15696600/detail.html

NEWS9 has learned that a medical helicopter service will soon be moving in to Jefferson County.

This will make emergency response times much faster in the valley.

Two STAT MedEvac choppers have landed and the contract was signed to bring their services to the Jefferson County airpark 24-7. meaning response time for accidents will be cut in half.

Talks between STAT MedEvac and Jefferson County regional airport authority started about three weeks ago and they have sealed the deal to bring in a chopper and a full staff in Jefferson County working around the clock.

Gary Folden, with Jefferson County Regional Airport Authority, said this will reduce response times.

The current terminal will be revamped to house STAT MedEvac.

The airport authority will be moving into a brand-new terminal, just about 400 feet away.

They’re hoping to have a chopper moved in there by April 1.

As soon as the terminal renovations are complete, they are hoping to be up and running.

Last edited:

rcool101

Feed Provider
My wife told me this morning about this. I was going to give you a call and see if you saw it on the news. This is Stat Medevac. Is this the same service as Medcorp thats been going on in the rest of the state? If so we'll have to look for talk groups. If not than they might not be on MARCS. Is Medcorp a dispatching service or do they have their own helos?

FPO703

STAT MedEvac is based out of Pittsburgh. They dispatch on 155.265 and another newer channel I can't think of right now.

MedCorp is a totally different company.

My question is this. Why did they (STAT) pull out of Tuscarawas County, only to start back up in Jefferson County? Especially with MedFlight 8 up in Tuscarawas County.

rcool101

Feed Provider
If there is a Med corp nearby than maybe competition made them move. What ever it is its about the money. It always is. I'm surprised they didn't move to Ohio Co airport which is just north of Wheeling W.Va. One of our towers for Jeff Co 911 is actually close by this airport for better coverage to the southern part of Jefferson Co. Jeff Co. must of made them a good offer. Also the Jeff Co 911 center is located at the airport in Jeff Co. Or maybe they just like the location

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
FPO703 said:
STAT MedEvac is based out of Pittsburgh. They dispatch on 155.265 and another newer channel I can't think of right now.

MedCorp is a totally different company.

My question is this. Why did they (STAT) pull out of Tuscarawas County, only to start back up in Jefferson County? Especially with MedFlight 8 up in Tuscarawas County.

Probably partially because it makes more sense. This area needs a local medevac unit. This is nearer to their home operations. Jefferson County is much more 'within' their area of operation. It made less sense to have them in Tuscarawas and have this vast area in East Ohio covered only by Allegheny/Washington Co PA and Tuscarawas. The Jefferson County Airpark will be a good base for them. Just from the calls I have heard in the past year, the need for a local medevac base is definitely needed.

As I type this there is a medevac chopper heading down to Uniontown, Belmont Co to handle a call. I'm not sure whose unit is, but obviously if they had already been established in Jefferson Co, STAT MedEvac could have been there in a very very short period of time. It is probably STAT anyway. I remember what it was like before "LifeFlight" ever existed and I remember the first time seeing one land around here. It was pretty exciting.

mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
It's a win/win for Jefferson Co and likely for STAT. If the offer wasn't appealing, they wouldn't have taken it.

Wouldn't surprise me if you find them on the JeffCo 911 system from time to time. They'd have acccess right in to communicate with local hospitals, patch into Harrison or Belmont Co, etc.

Now all the drunk bozos careening off the cliffs at 3 am stand a little better chance of making it to their next birthday.

Mike

dr400

mtindor said:
Probably partially because it makes more sense.

From the story in the Steubenville Herald-Star it would seem the Jefferson Airpark made them a good deal.

"As I type this there is a medevac chopper heading down to Uniontown, Belmont Co to handle a call. "

That unit worked with the ground people via the Belmont 911 800 MHz system, talkgroup was 30xxx. I can't remember the last three digits but probably 30416 which is Fire Tac 13.

Dale

rreed4

Premium Subscriber
From what I have heard STAT Medevac wasn't making money in Tusc Co. What with MedFlight in Coshocton (at the time) and Metro Life Flight in Canton. Too many birds in the same area to make it self sufficient. Jefferson County is a great location and referral base for STAT and this is a long time coming. IMHO of course.

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
dr400 said:
mtindor said:
Thanks to STA75 for giving me the scoop beforehand.

From WTOV.Com - http://www.wtov9.com/news/15696600/detail.html

"NEWS9 has learned that a medical helicopter service will soon be moving in to Jefferson County."

Translation, we just read the story in the newspaper! Now we hope you haven't seen it before we did!

ROFL, that's likely a dead accurate translation. They're laughable.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.