Stat Medevac

Status
Not open for further replies.

W3DMV

Back in 2006-2007 there was many posts regarding Stat Medevac operations, but the answer
I was looking for has never surfaced.

I normally monitor Stat 13 based at the York airport, and 159.480 (103.5) is used
for communications. Has anyone been able to determine where the actual
transmitter is located ? I have done a very extensive search at the FCC and viewed
many other frequency lists but have been unable to come up with a answer.

Just using a BCD-396 with rubber duck, the signal is very strong at my location in
Gettysburg, so the locations listed on their current license are too far away. Also
searched Maryland and West Virginia with negative results..

Also looked for other licensees on the frequency who might be leasing a system with no results..

CommJunkie

The thing about Air Medical communications is that due to the height the aircraft gets, a repeater doesn't necessarily have to be in the same location as the transmitting aircraft.

As an example, I was a dispatcher for an air medical company with aircraft in Cleveland Ohio. Through VOiP and related technology, I could dispatch them from my office in Coatesville, PA. The repeater was located on top of their hospital, and it's coverage spanned northern, central, western OH, as well as Erie, PA and just south of Buffalo, NY, all on one frequency pair and one repeater.

So, to answer your question, while I'm not familiar with Stat MedEvac's equipment specifically, it's very possible that the tower site you are looking for is located in one of a dozen local counties, and unless you get all of Stat's internal info, it may be hard to find out.

When you are getting a strong signal, is it from the aircraft or the dispatcher? (Just for my own curiosity)

Food for thought, Ohio's RR page lists the same freq and PL as a Stat channel in Ohio.
Medical Helicopters/MICU Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

I'd venture a guess they're using the Athens repeater with some kind of voter at a secondary location. http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?fccCallsign=WQDU481

Last edited:

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I did a full search of the US on that freq and here is my conclusion. They must not have a license for that particular site. Wouldnt suprise me that something like that does happen.

Frank

W3DMV

I'am able to hear both the aircraft and the base station. I have been in the communication
business for over 50 years and the base station is very strong at my location on a hand held.
which would indicate the base transmitter is much closer than the closest license location
of Somerset County. Thanks for your replies....

ocguard

I did a full search of the US on that freq and here is my conclusion. They must not have a license for that particular site. Wouldnt suprise me that something like that does happen.

Frank

I would tend to agree. I also searched the ULS for Stat's old dispatch frequency (155.265) and came up with no additional fixed site locations for any of their licenses. Also check MD and WV. Nothing. Either one of their sites is EXTREMELY high and EXTREMELY powerful, or they are operating an un-licensed fixed site.

ocguard

All that said, have you attempted to discover what the tones are used to dispatch 13?

talviar

I would agree with Frank that this might be unlicensed. In the case of the TX site for Fayette, the freq 155.265 isn't licensed. Fayette 911 woun't give them a waiver. 15khz off of a police dispatch channel 155.250 with the sites only 3 miles from each other. . . . .20 years later, transmitter still there running, still no license. . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.