State Capital 800 Mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

W0JJK

I highly doubt the signal will reach that far. It is the only 800 Freq licensed to the state that I found.

I am guessing they will just move the Security for the State Capital from the D and D system to this channel.

KC0LOD

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of NSP and how they currently use that UHF freq for their Pac RTs. It would almost make more sense to put their Pac RTs onto say this newly licensed 800MHz freq (or obtain a new state-wide freq license for this use). From here you could program zones and TGIDs from various surrounding systems or at least give them the ability to have the 800MHz mutual aid channels. This would eliminate the need to always be able to make a patch, and would allow officers from different agencies the ability to talk to the NSP in the field.

This way they can still use the low-band which they currently use and works (not to mention paid for and already installed in their vehicles), but allows them the flexibility of covering some of the more dense county and populated areas via use of a mutual aid channel or the ability to have an ID and TGID on various 800MHz systems within the state.

Programming should not be too much of an issue as only certain troops would need certain systems, and not all troops would need all the systems programmed in. However, since the Lincoln troop and Omaha troop are fairly close to each other it would make sense for both troops to have Lincoln and Omaha / Sarpy county systems.

With so many counties scrambling to obtain or make the switch to 800MHz just around the Lincoln / Omaha area this would allow them the ability to communicate to such counties as: Saunders, Washington, Douglas, Sarpy, Cass, Otoe, Lancaster, just to name a few. I would look for something like this to come along in the future.

SCPD

QRT
The reason why the counties around Omaha and Lincoln are getting 800 is the STATE is making them change to those frequencies. It's part of the regional mutual aid plan that they came up with.

Don't forget about the other agencies around the state that have 800 and/or trunking systems. Norfolk, Scottsbluff along with various others in the panhandle, Seward, York, Chase county who is on a LTR system, and many others.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The original plan that Nebraska wanted to pursue, was the establishment of a state owned trunked radio system, which over time would be built-out to cover the entire state. However, when the state saw the price tag from Motorola, they got a bad case of sticker shock. From that point on, they decided that it would be more cost-effective to approach the interoperability issue from a regional perspective, rather than from a statewide viewpoint. Moreover, Nebraska decided that it would be best interest of all parties that each system should be locally owned, and not follow the trend in Illinois and South Carolina, where the vendor builds and maintains the system; whereby, each agency leases airtime for a fee that can be very expensive for smaller agencies.

In the future, I would look for more wide-area trunking system to go into place over the next 10-15 years. These may be on VHF or UHF, but would be linked via microwave to the other systems. Likewise, with the federal government building their nationwide VHF, P-25 TRS over the next decade, its possible that agreements could be reached between local agencies and the federal government to better share their resources. Currently, the Montana, Virgina, and Wyoming are looking to do just that, since they are building VHF-High band P-25 trunking systems.

73's

Ron

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
I am not talking about making NSP or any state agency go trunking. I was simply saying take their PAC RT freq from UHF to 800. This would give them 800 portables with ITAC freqs so they can talk to other agencies and counties already making the switch, or currently on 800MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.