State DPS Chickasha site now active

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5bew1

The Chickasha site on the DPS system is now active and on the air. I can confirm a control channel.
Freqs are
860.2125*

*This is the control channel I hear. Anyone in Newcastle or Blanchard area on SW should be able to hear this site. It is on a tower about highway 62 and highway 92 junction.
It is about 1/2 scale signal wise on my BC-780 and a top mounted 800 Mhz gain antenna on the top of my van. This is here in Norman from my drive way.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I was getting some voice testing on 857.7125 earlier today. Not sure how that may be related to new DPS sites... It was fairly strong on a handheld at around 10th & Meridian in OKC.

woodyrr

Excellent catch!

Now for the stupid question: :roll:

Are the radios already installed in troopers' cars smart enough to recognize that there is a new site when they wander into it, or do all of the radios have to be reprogrammed before they can use it?

n5bew1

Gilligan said:
I was getting some voice testing on 857.7125 earlier today. Not sure how that may be related to new DPS sites... It was fairly strong on a handheld at around 10th & Meridian in OKC.
That shows to be the Carney site the 42064 radio shop talk group probably goes out to all sites. I heard the testing on the Norman site this afternoon.
Ken

Gilligan

Database Admin
n5bew1 said:
That shows to be the Carney site
What are the chances of 800 MHz skip from Carney to OKC on a stock rubber antenna? That's what amazes me -- we're talking about probably 100 miles, right? I was wondering if it was a new tower somewhere...

woodyrr

Carney is not nearly that far away. In the mornings, I can sometimes receive Carney about as well, or as poorly, rather, as I receive Norman. That is with an attic antenna that works almost as well as the back of the set antenna that comes with the scanner.

It's not surprising that I cannot receive Chickasha.

n5bew1

Gilligan said:
What are the chances of 800 MHz skip from Carney to OKC on a stock rubber antenna? That's what amazes me -- we're talking about probably 100 miles, right? I was wondering if it was a new tower somewhere...
The town of Carney is 8 miles north of the turner turnpike on highway 177.

mam1081

Feed Provider
The 806.2125 does seem to be Chickasha. Trunker shows a sysid of 092C (which is the same for the rest of the SZ system), and a site number of 18.

Anyone in Lawton or any of the other proposed site areas hear a new control channel???

MMIC

Are the radios already installed in troopers' cars smart enough to recognize that there is a new site when they wander into it, or do all of the radios have to be reprogrammed before they can use it?

Not a stupid question at all. On a SmartZone system, all of the radios do not need to be reprogrammed in order to use that site. Once it is on the air and part of the zone, neighboring sites to the new site will broadcast the new sites' control channel as an adjacent site and the radios will check that site's signal strength of the neighboring site against the site that the radio is currently using to see if the neighboring site has a stronger signal. If it does, the radio will roam over to it.

The radios also have the capability to do ao full spectrum control channel scan if the radio finds itself outside of the coverage of the programmed list of control channels and adjacent sites. This full spectrum control channel scan will end up finding new sites that are not programmed into the radio already.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
MMIC said:
Not a stupid question at all. On a SmartZone system, all of the radios do not need to be reprogrammed in order to use that site. Once it is on the air and part of the zone, neighboring sites to the new site will broadcast the new sites' control channel as an adjacent site and the radios will check that site's signal strength of the neighboring site against the site that the radio is currently using to see if the neighboring site has a stronger signal. If it does, the radio will roam over to it.

It has to do this else it would be a DumbZone system ... :D (and I think MA/COM already owns that name)

davido662002

South Central Oklahoma Red River Country,Okla. Pro
n5bew1 said:
The Chickasha site on the DPS system is now active and on the air. I can confirm a control channel.
Freqs are
860.2125*

*This is the control channel I hear. Anyone in Newcastle or Blanchard area on SW should be able to hear this site. It is on a tower about highway 62 and highway 92 junction.
It is about 1/2 scale signal wise on my BC-780 and a top mounted 800 Mhz gain antenna on the top of my van. This is here in Norman from my drive way.

What part of Norman are you in. I am about 2 blocks west of the ER.

n5bew1

davido662002 said:
What part of Norman are you in. I am about 2 blocks west of the ER.
I am out north of Los Dos Amigos a little ways. Out here on the higher ground of Norman on the east side of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.