State Medevac Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtRetired

Hi Guys,

Been listening to the NJ State Medevac feed for a couple of weeks now. Question is, all I heve been hearing is the south district. Have not heard Northstar or Atlantic Air 3 or any requests for the north half of the state. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

jmp883

Not to second-guess your radio programming but make sure you have the talkgroup ID programmed correctly. Northstar's talkgroup ID is 26832. I noticed the same thing myself recently and when I did hear them on the air they usually declined due to weather.

This is an assumption (and you know what they say when you assume :D ) but I've always noticed that Southstar is busier and I think it's because south Jersey is more rural than the central and northern sections of the state.

Just my thoughts....

SgtRetired

JMP,
Thanks for the response. I was listening on Broadcastify over the internet, so the talkgroup should be correct. The description says that the broadcast is statewide REMS , so I should get the north and south parts of the state. Will keep listening, and see what happens I guess.

Thanks,
Mike

KC2zZe

883, you mention that in general SouthSTAR was more active than NorthSTAR. Expanding on that assumption a bit...could the lesser activity that NorthSTAR had in comparison have been cut even more by the introduction of all of the hospital based MedEvacs in NorthSTAR's territory (Hackensack 1, Atlantic Air 1 and 3, and MonOc1)?

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

the answer - there needs to be a state police radio turned on in the area that you are listening in to auto- affiliate with the site. in my instance, i live in monmouth county. i usually only here the south medevacs.
this is a by-product of motorolas smartnet or smartzone. it conserves the system space if there is no need for a radio to hear the traffic. at least this is what i've been told. i'm not the most trunking literate person on the board.

rsb8940

Feed Provider
JMP,
Thanks for the response. I was listening on Broadcastify over the internet, so the talkgroup should be correct. The description says that the broadcast is statewide REMS , so I should get the north and south parts of the state. Will keep listening, and see what happens I guess.

Thanks,
Mike

I am the Broadcastify feed provider for the New Jersey Statewide Medevac feed. I confirmed that the Northstar/North Jersey Talk Group(26832) is programmed in the scanner. Both the Northstar (REMCS Refers to Troop B) and Southstar (26800, and also called Troop C) Talkgroups have priority over all other monitored talk groups listed on the feed.

With the Superbowl in NJ, the Statewide EMS Task Force talkgroups have been very busy, but you should have still heard from the northern Medevac's. I do listen to this feed on a near daily basis and have heard REMCS talking with aircraft in the northern part of the state and have not noticed any issue myself. As KC2zZe points out, the South Talkgroup is much busier in general than the North.

Thanks for listening to my feed!

SgtRetired

Hello RSB,

First off, thanks for hosting the feed. I am both a retired LEO and a pilot and have been involved in airbourne LE. I have great interest in the medevac programs and enjoy listening to the statewide feed. Thanks again for the response and checking the status of the feeds.

Mike G

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
great feed !! what is the frequency for this feed so I can use it when I am mobile thanks!

rsb8940

Feed Provider
great feed !! what is the frequency for this feed so I can use it when I am mobile thanks!

Thanks Buckbull. I assume you have a mobile scanner (that supports trunked radio) and are looking for the frequencies to listen to this feed outside of Broadcastify. If that is the case, the Statewide Medevac operates on the New Jersey State Police statewide 800Mhz Trunked Radio system which you will find all the details in the link below. Just scroll down to the "Ems and Hospital Talkgroup" section.

New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
883, you mention that in general SouthSTAR was more active than NorthSTAR. Expanding on that assumption a bit...could the lesser activity that NorthSTAR had in comparison have been cut even more by the introduction of all of the hospital based MedEvacs in NorthSTAR's territory (Hackensack 1, Atlantic Air 1 and 3, and MonOc1)?

Hospital based MedEvacs are also dispatched on the SouthStar (and I assume NorthStar) channels.

rsb8940

Feed Provider
Hospital based MedEvacs are also dispatched on the SouthStar (and I assume NorthStar) channels.

All ships stationed south of Monmouth/Mercer County are dispatch on the Southstar channel and all ships north of Monmouth/Mercer County are dispatch on Northstar channel. Currently, no ships are stationed in Monmouth or Mercer Counties.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Buckbull. I assume you have a mobile scanner (that supports trunked radio) and are looking for the frequencies to listen to this feed outside of Broadcastify. If that is the case, the Statewide Medevac operates on the New Jersey State Police statewide 800Mhz Trunked Radio system which you will find all the details in the link below. Just scroll down to the "Ems and Hospital Talkgroup" section.

New Jersey State Police Trunking System, Statewide, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I scrolled down to "Ems and Hospital Talkgroup" section. I guess im not getting how to get the frequencies , forgive me I used to be really into scanners 15 yrs ago and im just getting back into them so I am not familiar with talkgroups??? so I was not able to understand how to get the frequencies , if you have time can you explain in laymen's terms thanks.

bailly2

you need a trunktracking scanner. most of them you program the frequencies in and set them to be trunked instead of conventional (my first trunking scanner you progress the mode button and instead of am or fm it was mot) then for that bank you would enter the talkgroups you want to hear and change the trunking mode from open (hearing all activity) to closed (only hear the entered talkgroups). newer scanners have it so you only listen to certain talkgroups right away

rsb8940

Feed Provider
I scrolled down to "Ems and Hospital Talkgroup" section. I guess im not getting how to get the frequencies , forgive me I used to be really into scanners 15 yrs ago and im just getting back into them so I am not familiar with talkgroups??? so I was not able to understand how to get the frequencies , if you have time can you explain in laymen's terms thanks.

What Make/Model of scanner do you have? If it doesn't support Trunked Radios, you will not be able to listen.

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
I have an old radio shack pro-2066 and I just ordered the whistler ws1080 which is coming this Saturday. the 2066 is a trunk tracker. not sure if it allows talk groups .

rsb8940

Feed Provider
I have an old radio shack pro-2066 and I just ordered the whistler ws1080 which is coming this Saturday. the 2066 is a trunk tracker. not sure if it allows talk groups .

I am not personally familiar with either, but by the looks of Whistler WS 1080, it looks like it is one of their newer scanners that supports the latest P25 Phase I / II. There is also software that you can download, see the below link:

Whistler Group - Product Catalog

Good Luck!

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
rsb8940 thanks for that !! im hoping im not going to go nuts trying to figure this 1080 out !! lol

buckbull

Premium Subscriber
so basically let me see if I got this .to listen to the medevac on my new scanner all I have to do is punch in all the frequencies then I punch in the talk group number and they will be the only people I hear on those frequencies because I specified a talk group ?? did I somewhat get that right ?

bailly2

you can easily by pressing the menu button and then set location, might be that easy.

from reading the manual it sounds like your going to need to install the ez scan software on your computer, hook up the scanner to the usb slot on your computer, import the state of new jersey's trunked system in ez scan and then copy the ez scan configuration to your scanner
Whistler Group - Product Catalog

AC2OY

so basically let me see if I got this .to listen to the medevac on my new scanner all I have to do is punch in all the frequencies then I punch in the talk group number and they will be the only people I hear on those frequencies because I specified a talk group ?? did I somewhat get that right ?

When you get the scanner download the software and you can program any system in you want using the database. I think there is even a way to import stuff right from this website. There are you tube videos that show you how!! Good luck have fun!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.