State of Arizona mobile communications center

Status
Not open for further replies.

DHAS12

Hello everybody, I recently saw a Arizona mobile communications center in Kingman a couple days ago. I was wondering how, and when these systems are used and if they use a specific set of frequencies. It also had the mohave county seal on the side of it so I am guessing it is based around here somewhere, but this is the first time i've seen it. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I am a little curious about them.

FLANO

AZ DB Administrator
Database Admin

BillH1

You probably saw one of the mobile State / County EOC mobiles. They fall under the Arizona DEMA folks.

They do comm checks on Wednesdays at 10am on the APS Trunk system, followed by a test on the VHF channels. HF is also performed, but I've never heard them.

Arizona Public Service Corporation Trunking System, Various, Arizona - Scanner Frequencies
Arizona Division of Emergency Management Talkgroups

Arizona Division of Emergency Management Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Yes, this is what I saw. So when they are being used at an incident they are using the frequencies under the systems you provided?

Attachments

• 15025523_1207550949283762_263674598212652038_o.jpg
    15025523_1207550949283762_263674598212652038_o.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 449

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
There are four of these small communications vans in Arizona and they utilize the tactical callsigns of Toad 1 thru 4. They often participate in disaster exercises and real world situations anywhere in the State. They can do HF, VHF, UHF, and 700/800 and have the capability of patching different frequencies together so agencies can easily talk to one another while working an operation of mutual interest. The one in Phoenix is a large motor home with the callsign of Bullfrog.

SCPD

QRT
What is the origin of the unit designators "Toad" and "Bullfrog?" Seems a little odd.

DHAS12

There are four of these small communications vans in Arizona and they utilize the tactical callsigns of Toad 1 thru 4. They often participate in disaster exercises and real world situations anywhere in the State. They can do HF, VHF, UHF, and 700/800 and have the capability of patching different frequencies together so agencies can easily talk to one another while working an operation of mutual interest. The one in Phoenix is a large motor home with the callsign of Bullfrog.

That makes sense, but the callsigns are a little strange. Thank you.

KB7MIB

So, I left a comment on DEMA's Facebook page, asking why they chose the callsigns they did, such as Bullfrog, Toad, Roadrunner, Dogpound, etc. (Under their story of assisting with communications during the inauguration.)

If I get an answer, I'll share it.

John
Peoria

SCPD

QRT
So, I left a comment on DEMA's Facebook page, asking why they chose the callsigns they did, such as Bullfrog, Toad, Roadrunner, Dogpound, etc. (Under their story of assisting with communications during the inauguration.)

If I get an answer, I'll share it.

John
Peoria

Thanks for doing this. When I was reading DEMA website they mentioned they had trailers, which they called "Tadpoles." I find this selection of designators very strange.

KB7MIB

So, the first mobile communications vehicle was named the "Toad" because it appeared to be fat and wide, like a toad. The other vehicle callsigns followed suit, being named after various Arizona animals.

The communications trailer, being smaller than the Toad vans, became "Tadpole".
The RV, being bigger than the Toad vans, became "Bullfrog", as a bullfrog is bigger than a typical toad. Etc.

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.