State of Maryland 700 MHz P25 TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I see that the state of Maryland is applying for a five-site, 700 MHz Project 25 simulcast TRS. According to the documentation filed with the application, this will be a Phase II TDMA TRS. This system will be located in Anne Arundel County. More can be read at the FCC Web site:

FCC Application

Letter of support

73s

Ron

JoeyC

Relax Sam. Anne Arundle County is already digital and has been. It will take years before a new system is up and running.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No it's not. Anne Arundel is currently mixed mode - fire is still analog. But you are correct in the other point - that the system is years away, if it ever comes about at all.

With budget issues and the 'not in my tower' attitude still out there, I suspect this is just a ploy by the state to insure that it has it's share of the 700 mhz pie.

best regards...Mike

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Are we sure this isn't the continuation of the CMARC rollout? The temporary license for the Baltimore sites (WQNB663) has expired...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
kinda looking forward for a reason to upgrade...
that Black Friday Pro-106 for $300 is awful tempting

Except that the 106 won't handle P2 - the PSR-800 can handle the 'beta' version (X2), and I would think it might - and this is pure speculation - be able to handle the full specification with a firmware tweak.

Save your money and hold on. I sincerely doubt much is going to happen in the next year, frankly - not with all the budget issues, not considering any federal monies that might get involved at some point.

Realism rules, I'm afraid...Mike

radiowave15

Southern Maryland Scanner Question

I've had a general class ham license for about 20 years but never did much VHF scanning. I don't have a lot of room in my current vehicle but want to have some scanning capability in there for local and state police and fire/rescue.

I'm located in Southern Calvert County. Would one of those older Radio Shack Pro-91 to Pro-95 units get much anymore? I'm just looking for some basic scanning with trunking capability.

Many thanks.

Also just discovered RadioReference.com; what a fantastic amount of information.

Dan
N3HNA

screenersam

I hate motrbro
I've had a general class ham license for about 20 years but never did much VHF scanning. I don't have a lot of room in my current vehicle but want to have some scanning capability in there for local and state police and fire/rescue.

I'm located in Southern Calvert County. Would one of those older Radio Shack Pro-91 to Pro-95 units get much anymore? I'm just looking for some basic scanning with trunking capability.

Many thanks.

Also just discovered RadioReference.com; what a fantastic amount of information.

Dan
N3HNA

Calvert County, Maryland (MD) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Calvert County Trunking System, Prince Frederick, Maryland - Scanner Frequencies

looks to me like either the 91 or the 95 will work for you

radiowave15

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know if Southern Maryland had changed anything that would prevent older scanners like the Pro91 to Pro95 from picking up local police or fire.

I would relocate to the 'Shore in a heartbeat but we're set up here with work and kids. I spent many years doing real estate appraisal work from Cecil County to Somerset County.

Dan

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

Many thanks.

Dan
N3HNA

Hi Dan - welcome to RR.

While the PRO-91 and 95 would do the job (the 95 is better since it can scan conventionally and trunk in a single pass) FOR NOW, rebanding is on the horizon. Since 2 of the County's control channels have a 0 in the 4th position, these radios will no longer trunk that system once rebanding takes place. When it will happen in this area I haven't a clue, frankly.

You can read about rebanding here...

Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

Now if all you're interested in is Calvert county, then yes, a plain jane analog trunktracker will do the job. There are many inexpensive ones by GRE, RS and Uniden; all these are rebanding supported, so you're not out some bucks when it finally does take place...

Category:Rebanding Supported Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

This is a list of rebanding-compatible scanners. Just click on the model number you wish to check out, and you'll be taken there. Some of these are digital trunktrackers; these copy P25 systems as well as analog, but at an additional (and considerable) cost.

As an aside, please don't hijack a thread. It's considered bad form. If you have further questions, please start a new thread and you'll find there's LOTS of folks here that can help.

Back to the 700 mhz question....best regards...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.