State of Oklahoma building statewide 700 MHz system

nd5y

The State of Oklahoma is building a statewide 700 MHz system. Apparently it will be P25 phase I conventional, not trunked.

attachment:

OKDPS desires to acquire the necessary channels in order to implement a conventional, multi-site radio system throughout the State of Oklahoma. The local government entities will be encouraged and invited to join this statewide system in order to establish seamless interoperability. OKDPS has secured sufficient funds through its annual budget appropriation by the State Legislators and approved by the Governor for the system already. The following timeline should reflect OKDPS’ proposed plan for the next three years to fully implement their system...

first two applications:

Last edited:

nd5y

Interesting. Surprised they aren't building OKWIN out further..
They could be doing that too. There is no way to tell from the applications filed today. There was already one new OKWIN site licensed recently and several more licenses were modified in the past couple months.

Also several ODOT trunked licenses were modified in the past few months to add new sites or additional channels to existing sites.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I wonder why OKWIN just didnt change to 700mhx when they upgrade to P25 I. The only thing I can think of that kept them from doing this is most agency radios, including radios I use at work already were programmed with anticipation of the new P25 I 800mhz OKWIN upgrade years ago. The upgrade isnt even completed because of money which is why OKC hasnt upgraded yet and now they want to build a new system?? Maybe this is an extension of OKWIN but just 700 instead of 800?!?

Maybe the OKWIN tech guy can chime in?

nd5y

Their applications were returned.

Your application is being returned for the following reason:
You are requesting State License channels under 90.531(b)(5), however, the State of Oklahoma does not have an active State License (SL) on file with the FCC. Please amend this application to remove the State License channels from this application.

You must resubmit this request for authorization through your frequency coordinator if you are requesting the licensing of a new station, modifying an existing licensed station, or if you are making any change to information previously coordinated. See Rule Sections 90.135 and 90.175. FAILURE TO DO SO COULD RESULT IN THE DISMISSAL OF YOUR REQUEST FOR AUTHORIZATION AND FORFEITURE OF ANY FEE(S) PAID. Failure to resubmit this request for authorization in a timely manner will also result in loss of any previously paid fee(s).

This could be fun to watch.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
Part from this, it’d be nice if they had a 700 network to get away from cell-tower interference! I’m about 1/4 mile from a 4-tier tower that completely knocks out OKWIN, so I have to use a directional Yagi that I spent about 3 hours trying to find a location in my attic where I could get a decent signal good enough to decode the trunking data!

Bastrop1

Low band "44mhz" is going away and getting replaced with this. Its a conventional radio to replace the conventional radios that are there. And its a lot cheaper than a trunked "800mhz" system. just FYI.......

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
Low band "44mhz" is going away and getting replaced with this. Its a conventional radio to replace the conventional radios that are there. And its a lot cheaper than a trunked "800mhz" system. just FYI.......

Will this 700 system be interoperable with the 800 phase I system?

nd5y

Will this 700 system be interoperable with the 800 phase I system?
What do you mean?
Systems aren't interoperable. User radios are.

A P25 conventional repeater could be IP connected temporarily or permanently to a P25 trunked talkgroup. That can be done at the tower if it has IP network access or at a dispatch console.

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
What do you mean?
Systems aren't interoperable. User radios are.

A P25 conventional repeater could be IP connected temporarily or permanently to a P25 trunked talkgroup.
That is what I mean. As long as they have the ability to connect to each other, otherwise just build out the rest of OKWIN and be done with it.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Smart they avoided monthly subscriber fees but are going digital and 700.

New Mexico swallowed the pill and now are forcing people to join in the future and most municipalities have blew their money on VHF Hardware but they will be in for a surprise come July during the new budget if they want any money from the state for communications.

HogDriver

Premium Subscriber
I noticed from the application letter that this system is to maybe fill the void in NW and SE Oklahoma. Still curious why OKWIN in filling this. Of course, it is a government operation and is therefore exempt from logical status.

Bastrop1

Cost, it's the initial up front cost to build a tower and buy the equipment. 700 conventional infrastructure is in place with few modifications, ie towers huts coax. I'm not going to comment on your "logic" statement. But I will ask that you have to remember that YOU are paying for this. The 700/800 conventional radios aren't for the county sheriff's or the police or mutual aid. They are for the dispatcher to talk to the troopers. Grants are used when given to pay for things. But this stuff ain't cheap.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
Nope i agree none of it is cheap.....!! Most on here don’t realize that a BASIC APX4500 with 02 head is around $3500/radio not counting options and the site equipment is 10x that for just conventional channel...... price a new (gtr8000 repeater) i just did to replace a VHF quantar we have up here in SW oklahoma for personal use it was lets say $$$$$$...... i hate that low band is going by the way side guess im old fashioned...! Lol. But coming from myself a police officer/paramedic I understand officer safety and the 700 will help with that In places where OHP and other state agencies don’t have good coverage because lowband equipment is getting harder to find and keep up.... in fact I’m thinking only Kenwood is left in the game.... i understand Codan/Daniels discontinued all its low band.... just my two cents