State of Oklahoma building statewide 700 MHz system

KOK5CY

Is this new 700 MHz system going to be used up north in the Miami and Grove areas ? . When will it go into effect ? .

nd5y

Is this new 700 MHz system going to be used up north in the Miami and Grove areas ? . When will it go into effect ? .
The locations won't be known (to outsiders) until all of the license applications are filed.
Read the document linked in post #1 for the planned implementation schedule.
The FCC rejected their first two license applications so that could mean delays.

nd5y

KOK5CY

What I don't understand is the state is paying a company out of state to file for the license and the tax payers are footing the bill and were paying for the radio upgrades and misc . why don't they just leave it be ? .

Turner101

Premium Subscriber
What I don't understand is the state is paying a company out of state to file for the license and the tax payers are footing the bill and were paying for the radio upgrades and misc . why don't they just leave it be ? .

I believe there is no trunked system out in that part of the state. We need a real interop state wide system. This is one step closer

Stephen

I’m kind of surprised they are not doing what many states do in the wide open areas and use VHF. Texas, Missouri, and several other states used dual band trunking. In the wide open more flat areas such as the panhandle VHF makes more sense.

LowderK

LEO / Paramedic
Premium Subscriber
I'm sure it is a Money issue... doing a dual band system would cost the state tons of $$$ because they would have to buy either dual band radios or a second radio... I. guessing that the state has 7/800 repeaters sitting around( removed from service OKWIN at downgraded sites) that could be used for the 700 conventional system and the state already has many towers in west and north west Oklahoma. and linked conventional is much much cheaper then Trunked and when its only going to be OHP on the system most likely they don't need trunked

Stephen

Many of the sales reps are big about pushing 700 because it requires more sites, though in a wide open area 35watt mobile/ 3 watt portable compared to 110 watt mobile / 6 watt portable.

nd5y

Bump to keep the thread from being locked.
The FCC has been sitting on these applications for almost 4 months now which is a bit unusual.

Bastrop1

They might not have the mobiles programmed yet. That's a lot of mobiles and HT's to touch.

Bastrop1

Maybe they just aren't using it yet. Might be up and they are just getting things put in place so it's not a gaggle when they launch it. I wish we had someone who worked there who might know, I'm sure they are up to something sneaky.