State Parks/Forests update

Status
Not open for further replies.

methusaleh

For what it's worth...a friend of mine works for the state park and/or forest commission (or whatever they are called...I am new to VT). Last week they had their (VHF?) base radio, coax, and antenna removed and they just got new HTs. From the description of the antennae, they are UHF. So far they have only tested the radios and have used just two channels, one of which sounds like it's repeaterized (two parties could hear each other easily when miles apart), and one of which seems to be simplex (same two persons could only hear each other when closer together). I know it is difficult to extract information from people who aren't radio hobbyists but I did my best. I hope to have a look at the HTs sometime soon.

NEK1213

Our state park in the NEK has been assigned VHF High Band with business frequencies or UHF FMRS cheapie units from year to year. I'm surprised they don't use either of the VHF frequencies assigned to ANR/FP&R.

ecps92

151.4750 has Rptr Allocations

Hard to envision UHF when NH and FED Parks are VHF.

Our state park in the NEK has been assigned VHF High Band with business frequencies or UHF FMRS cheapie units from year to year. I'm surprised they don't use either of the VHF frequencies assigned to ANR/FP&R.

D

DaveNF2G

OT: fees

Such a deal.

Vermont state parks $12.00 but at least they are open.

New York state parks $5.00 but they are closed.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if this has to do with all of those newer VHF/UHF repeater pairs that are being licensed throughout the state, usually at the same hilltop sites that DPS use now as well as at local SP barracks. Most of the frequencies are different throughout the state.

Kevin

methusaleh

Got a few more details. The radios are Motorola PR400s, 16 channel, UHF based on the antenna, no display, allegedly VSP surplus. I hope to examine one within the next few weeks.

It appears that channel 16 may be programmed with an FRS simplex channel with no CTCSS tone, as the park was using channel 16 for something this past weekend and the employees reported being able to hear other users that sounded like children, but the other users seemed to not be able to hear them.

Does anyone know if VSP ever used 16-channel PR400s?

NEK1213

Vermont's most remote State Park

The ranger and his staff hardly ever use their radios, but there was a brief communication on 154.600 yesterday.

methusaleh

Hmm I meant to stop by this thread with a little update the other day, but almost forgot!

Made some observations at Button Bay State Park over the weekend of the fourth.

"Channel 16" in the newly-acquired UHF HTs is 462.6625, aka FRS channel 5, CSQ. It is mainly used by the maintenance staff.

VHF HTs are two-channel Kenwood TK3200s. Channel 1 is 154.570 with a CTCSS tone of 67.0Hz. Channel 2 is 154.600 with a CTCSS tone of 67.0Hz. There are only a few of them at that particular park and they are mainly used between lifeguards and the ranger station.

docwatson431

VSP and 16-Channel PR400s

Got a few more details. The radios are Motorola PR400s, 16 channel, UHF based on the antenna, no display, allegedly VSP surplus. I hope to examine one within the next few weeks.

It appears that channel 16 may be programmed with an FRS simplex channel with no CTCSS tone, as the park was using channel 16 for something this past weekend and the employees reported being able to hear other users that sounded like children, but the other users seemed to not be able to hear them.

Does anyone know if VSP ever used 16-channel PR400s?

VSP at least in the northern part of the state have been changing out there Motorola HT 1000's with MT1500's. I have not seen any of the Troops in my patrol area using PR400s.

Status
Not open for further replies.