state parks freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker845

Just wondering if Oregon state parks changed to repeater system or did they just move to state trunking system??

Bowlieweekender

Encryption is Easy - Key Management is Hard
Premium Subscriber
Oregon State Park vehicles still have VHF hi-band quarter-wave antennas on the roof. I'm on the hunt for Smith Rock State Park. All their licenses are managed by and therefore hidden in the hundreds of Forestry Service licenses I understand.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
IIRC, there was a push a few years ago to get the rangers certified as law enforcement and armed, but I don't think it ever materialized. Historically, I think OSP cadets were used for patrols during peak seasons or in busy areas.

Same here -- any vehicles I've seen have a VHF antenna (if they even have one at all). They were running a couple of frequencies in the 159 MHz area, but that was probably simplex in the local park(s). It sure would make a lot of sense to give them access to ODF's repeaters, though, especially since they are working in many of the similar areas and terrain...

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
They appear to have TGs on the Oregon Radio Project. In recent times the gorge units were on Nextel

Bowlieweekender

Premium Subscriber
Nextel turned off in 2013

Oregon State Parks (official)
CH1 159.225 NFM PARKS1 (Simplex)
CH2 159.390 NFM PARKS2 (Simplex)
CH3 151.325 NFM PRKRLY (Repeater Output)

radiotweester

There didn't use to be a lot of traffic at the parks as most is garbage/bathroom clean up, BUT Fort Stevens use to be quite busy with Ranger/complaints Fridays and Saturdays. I believe Silver Falls was similar? It's just a matter of have the freqs in the scanlist.

Bowlieweekender

Premium Subscriber
There didn't use to be a lot of traffic at the parks as most is garbage/bathroom clean up, BUT Fort Stevens use to be quite busy with Ranger/complaints Fridays and Saturdays. I believe Silver Falls was similar? It's just a matter of have the freqs in the scanlist.
What was Fort Stevens frequency? And I agree, traffic is very sparse.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Was recently out at Champoeg SP... no radio being carried by the ranger, no antenna on the pickup. And they were contacting a pretty shady-looking character in the parking lot. Honestly, they must just be relying on cell phones for the most part. I think a lot of it comes back to them not being sworn LE. (Plus, there's not really any sort of dispatch center to communicate with for most of these parks anyway.)

Though honestly, I'm kind of surprised that day-to-day resource work isn't at least improved by carrying radios for local park use.

Bowlieweekender

Premium Subscriber
The three State Park frequencies I previously posted came right off an official document. I've yet to hear a single conversation on their official OSRP talkgroups. I assume they aren't heavy on manpower and aren't heavy radio users. I'll buy a beer to the first person who records valid 'Parky' voice traffic on one of those three frequencies in Oregon!

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
The only place of recent memory that had VHF handheld and a 1/4 wave spike on the pickup was Deschutes River SP and I believe one of the buildings had something like a StationMaster antenna on the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.