State police bands???

Status
Not open for further replies.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Is there a way on RR that I have not found to pick up our state police in our district?????

What do you mean? Do you have a digital scanner to receive the starcom21 system?

n9zas

n5ims

I believe that these are your county agencies Champaign County, Illinois (IL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference and the State Police should be on this system StarCom21 Statewide Illinois P25 Trunking System, Statewide, Illinois - Scanner Frequencies

2 (2) 003 (3) Champaign Champaign 851.41250 851.93750c 852.46250a 852.98750 854.96250 855.16250
2 (2) 006 (6) Pesotum Champaign 851.36250 852.41250a 852.93750a 853.46250a 854.56250c

You'll need a digital scanner to monitor StartCom21. Hope this is helpful.

VASCAR2

I personally like Uniden Bearcat better than the Pro series of digital scanners from Radio Shack. It basically boils down to personal preference (ford vs Chevy vs dodge) type of thing. I have programmed both Bearcat and Rado Shack digital scanners for friends. I have a Bearcat 996XT and I've been around the BCD395XT handheld. The new Uniden/Bearcat Home Patrol-1 seems to have a big following and is very easy to use as it is preprogrammed for most locations in the USA. I've used my 996XT in southeastern Illinois and around Rockford. I also listened around Champaign County and in Indiana. My 996XT has had no trouble following any system I've programmed, digital or analog.

Biggest down side is cost, you can watch Radio Shack and get some sales with lower prices on the Pro Digital scanners. The GSR brand is basically the same Scanner as the Radio Shack models.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
With minor and infrequent exceptions, all ISP comms are on the digital, trunked Starcom system.

Unless you are around a large(r) city, most (not all) public safety comms are analog VHF, although more and more are switching to digital P25. A few (not many) use digital NEXEDGE, IDAS or TRBO with great sucess within their own agency, but creating a nightmare for their mutual aid neighbors.

I'm finding that the best way to listen is to have one digital trunking scanner dedicated to Starcom and/or your nearest city trunked system, and a second plain old vanilla scanner for everything else.

Contrary to popular belief, plain old analog VHF/UHF will be around for a long, long time, and works very well out in the rural counties. Using the 'lowest common denominator' is NOT a bad thing.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
I agree the old VHF-UHF is still the best way plus, years back dispatchers were nice and loud and in-car radios were loud and clear....Im not against lapel mikes but when most cops talk its nowhere near the mouth ....I have three family members on a PD here and tell them to "SPEAK UP"....

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I agree the old VHF-UHF is still the best way plus, years back dispatchers were nice and loud and in-car radios were loud and clear....Im not against lapel mikes but when most cops talk its nowhere near the mouth ....I have three family members on a PD here and tell them to "SPEAK UP"....

I'm going to really miss the states old VHF low band system over here.
While it does work, it does have its problems. I know when the band opens up, it makes it hard or impossible for the troop headquarters to hear the mobiles due to the stronger skip signals.
But nothing is going to sound as good as the old low band system did years ago. With a good antenna mounted high, one could hear all the troop headquarters from the entire state and the band did not need to be "open" at all.

One thing I do not miss is when they would key up the old Troop C transmitter before it moved out to Weldon Spring not long ago.
I lived near enough that the powerful signal would wipe out the older scanners plus the signal got into the local cable tv system at work.
You could tell when they were talking by watching the herringbone patterns appear on the tv!
The old tower was only maybe 1.5 miles from work and I could see it with the security cameras. I used its strobe and the security cams to tell if it was foggy out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.