State police dispatch policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Does anyone know if there has been a recent (since the redistricting) change in MSP dispatch policy? Over the last few snow events we have had (the 1 inch events where the roads got covered) I have heard the dispatchers "slip up" when they try to dispatch a unit and say something along the lines of "sorry im not suppose to be dispatching cars". Instead what they do, even on a normal basis, is just put out a general broadcast and wait for a car to call up and get the run. There was one event where the dispatcher was dispatching cars out and at the end of the event she thanked the sgt for letting her dispatch today.

So why would they change a policy where a dispatcher cant dispatch? All they are allowed to do is throw a run out there and hope someone grabs it?

rwier

Does anyone know if there has been a recent (since the redistricting) change in MSP dispatch policy? Over the last few snow events we have had (the 1 inch events where the roads got covered) I have heard the dispatchers "slip up" when they try to dispatch a unit and say something along the lines of "sorry im not suppose to be dispatching cars". Instead what they do, even on a normal basis, is just put out a general broadcast and wait for a car to call up and get the run. There was one event where the dispatcher was dispatching cars out and at the end of the event she thanked the sgt for letting her dispatch today.

So why would they change a policy where a dispatcher cant dispatch? All they are allowed to do is throw a run out there and hope someone grabs it?

I know the thread is for Michigan, but I can't help myself, lol.

I have been "trying" to monitor LE and Fire dispatches in AZ for 50 years. I don't believe I have ever heard a Fire Dispatch "throw a run out there", always a unit/s is/are designated, right from the get-go. And, during the same extended time period of time, I don't believe I have ever heard an LE agency (City PD, County Sheriff, State HWY Patrol, etc.), ever designate a specific unit on the first dispatch of an incident. They always "throw a run out there" and wait for responses. Both systems work perfectly for the two different agency types, respectively.

There are a few (later on in the incident) exceptions related to the PD/LE agencies. A specific unit (ME, Fingerprint Expert, DNA Expert, BAL Expert, K-9 Unit, etc.) might be called out and/or sent to a "scene". Similar FD exceptions would involve specific FD Investigators, called out later, after the scene cools down.
Thanks
Rob

Last edited:

n8zcc

I've only been listening to MSP for a few years. What stands out the most about them is the unusual amount of courtesy exchanged between the dispatchers and the units. I've been scanning since the 70's and I've never heard any other agency display this level of courtesy.

I must say, after hear them each morning, it sets a good mode for the rest of my day.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
I know the thread is for Michigan, but I can't help myself, lol.

For FD that is correct since they all have designated response areas, so there is no need to "throw it out" as they already know what station is responsible. For PD it depends on the area. For example my county with several city PDs may throw out a call for Charlotte, and if a unit from Charlotte PD is available they will "pick it up." If not, the county will respond.

In the larger city (Delta Twp) it's broken down by districts, so they know a call on Canal Rd is District 2, so 2A will be assigned to the call. If it's in the general county, they have a display of all the PD units on their dispatch screen so can either assign the closest or "throw it out."

(None of this is related to the OP question about MSP, just letting you know how it's done.)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

kd8ati said:
Does anyone know if there has been a recent (since the redistricting) change in MSP dispatch policy?

Which district(s) are you listening to?

Last edited:

ocscan

Premium Subscriber
Based on the info in the OP, it might have to do with the response time statistics. If the roads are bad the time between dispatched the unit, and unit on scene would be much longer than usual. Since response time is a key metric in measuring changes or needs for change in service levels, this stat is frequently dithered to support political decisions.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
Station 20. They always use to dispatch a specific unit(s) to a specific incident, very rarely doing a call "throw-out". Now it seems like that is all they do is "throw-outs". On the VERY rare occasion you do hear them dispatch a unit, they apologize afterwards saying they forgot they cant dispatch specific units.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Which district(s) are you listening to?

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Based on the info in the OP, it might have to do with the response time statistics. If the roads are bad the time between dispatched the unit, and unit on scene would be much longer than usual. Since response time is a key metric in measuring changes or needs for change in service levels, this stat is frequently dithered to support political decisions.

Kinda hard to "dither" the stats when you have a Computer-Aided Dispatch system that captures a permanent record of the times a call was received, dispatched, arrived, & cleared.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Station 20. They always use to dispatch a specific unit(s) to a specific incident, very rarely doing a call "throw-out". Now it seems like that is all they do is "throw-outs". On the VERY rare occasion you do hear them dispatch a unit, they apologize afterwards saying they forgot they cant dispatch specific units.

This is just conjecture on my part, but maybe an issue was raised between MSP & the county PSAP's over who should be dispatching the local troops.

I know there have been times when our troopers have told us that they were responding to a call given to them by Station 50; but since we can't monitor the D5 TG's, I can't tell you if it was a call that they were specifically assigned to, or one that was "thrown out" & they were close, so they grabbed it.

We used to "throw out" calls for the County Sheriff & MSP, & usually ended up just assigning somebody when no one spoke up. :eek: We also at one time had to "poll" each unit for their location, then determine who was closest, then send the closest unit. :mad: That didn't last long, because everybody realized it was a royal pain in the hiney. (This was before AVL)

Mostly what I hear Station 50 doing when I am monitoring them is taking check-in's & check-out's, running LEIN, calling for tows, & issuing complaint numbers.

And as for n8zcc's comment - yes; they are very courteous & professional, which, IMHO, should be the hallmark of all State Police dispatchers across the country. (If you have ever listened to the Illinois State Police Chicago District, you know exactly what I am talking about.)

hazard78

Feed Provider
Since the RPP took effect station 20 has been dispatch by broadcasting.We broadcast it to the troopers in the assigned zones I.E adam east or charles etc. When the troopers dont answer up its the Squad Sgt's responsibility to make sure the run is handled. Not the prefrered way of dispatching but it came from high up in command and way above my pay grade to complain.

Skud

Feed Provider
Middleville, MI-Barry County(Near G.R. & Ionia
Here in Barry County, MSP units from post 58 call in service with both Sheriff Dispatch and Station 50. Station 50 does not dispatch the units but they do issue complaint numbers to the troopers. Local Sheriff Dispatch handles all the dispatching. Station 50 does dispatch a few units from others areas to the south. from my understanding, if Station 50 does have a call, they are support to call over to Central Dispatch and give them toe info and have them dispatch.

SCPD

QRT
Just a thought, but is it possible, with all the restructuring and closing of post, etc, now the troopers are spread out trying to cover a greater geographic area. It's now too hard to ascertain which unit is closer. So they throw out a "So anyone near this one?" call.

hazard78

Feed Provider
just remember that Station 20 is the only dispatch that the metro post uses. Unlike our other MSP center that just provide lein and number, we actually dispatch runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.