State Police - H cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
past a NYSP on the Taconic Troop K) marked H225 or 255 but the plate did begin with H, no zone number had made a traffic stop - expedition type vehicle - Columbia County area
then heard over on F Middletown calling Hxxx something
HQ units hitting the streets??
seeing things

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
past a NYSP on the Taconic Troop K) marked H225 or 255 but the plate did begin with H, no zone number had made a traffic stop - expedition type vehicle - Columbia County area

then heard over on F Middletown calling Hxxx something

HQ units hitting the streets??

seeing things

They are test cars that are from HQ that are given to different troops to test to see if they are worth buying more.

This has been discussed in other threads as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
New York State Police Units if you go to this link click on the various numbers you'll see the different test cars......SP Catskill was using H something.....havent heard it in a few days...as well yes middletown was using a H unit....havent heard that either lately

lafd55

It was either a Explorer or Tahoe, really don't think they have Expeditions. But yea, most likely a test car, there are regular troop cars that are chargers and police interceptors out there though.

lafd55

Here is H240, Ford Police Interceptor Utility.
DSC_1144_zpsabe9cea9.jpg

lafd55

Interesting they have given them the top of the line HID headlights, and body moulding. MTA cars don't have it, maybe since they are test cars they want to make a good impression.
That is the Police model.... If the MTA has the new Explorer Police then it's the same exact thing or it's not the Explorer.

sc800

I know this is a bit off topic, but is there a difference between the Ford Explorer Police, and the Ford Police Interceptor Utility

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
You are right, I just walked over to the substation and looked it does have HID. I could have sworn the first one I looked at in August had standard headlights. How do the alternating head light flashers work with those hi/low vanes?

I know alot of agencies were not using HLF due to the shutter system on the projectors. However, I have seen a few use this with great success: New Ford Interceptor Shutter Override System - FISOS Ford Interceptor Shutter Override System [FISOS02] - $249.99 : FISOS.net, Ford Interceptor Shutter Override System

I don't know if the HID uses the same shutter system.

sc800

Just some more on the state police numbering system:

It seems like the CITE (Concealed Identity Traffic Enforcement) units are now numbered in the 200 series. For example F202, G200 etc

TIMS (Traffic Incident Management System) units are in the one hundreds. F107, F112 etc

Are normal highway beat cars in the 80's. It seems in Orange County the two units that are usually on 17 are 2F88 and 2F89

FDNY10-75

Database Admin
Troop G Interstate Highway Patrol Division cars are 60's, 70's and a few of the 80's. Lower 80's statewide are K-9.

lafd55

You are right, I just walked over to the substation and looked it does have HID. I could have sworn the first one I looked at in August had standard headlights. How do the alternating head light flashers work with those hi/low vanes?

The FORD police models have pre-cut holes for hideaway LEDs and cars can come from the factory with lights already installed.

I know this is a bit off topic, but is there a difference between the Ford Explorer Police, and the Ford Police Interceptor Utility

Technically there is no Ford Explorer Police, the "Explorer" used for police is called the Ford Police Interceptor Utility and of course has a couple special features and deletes that are not found on the civilian model. There are however a lot of civilian models that have been used for FD/PD. The only real thing noticeable on the exterior for either model is the black grille on police and grey on the civilian.

Last edited:

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
The FORD police models have pre-cut holes for hideaway LEDs and cars can come from the factory with lights already installed.

Technically there is no Ford Explorer Police, the "Explorer" used for police is called the Ford Police Interceptor Utility and of course has a couple special features and deletes that are not found on the civilian model. There are however a lot of civilian models that have been used for FD/PD. The only real thing noticeable on the exterior for either model is the black grille on police and grey on the civilian.

and I believe the Interceptor Utility also sits lower to the ground then the civilian model. I know Dutchess County has some Civilian models that are issued to bosses. One of the supervisor's was telling me that they model he had was a model in between the police and the civilian model but some of the research I have done I haven't been able to find if Ford offers a special service vehicle like chevy does with the Tahoe.

lafd55

There is no "Inbetween" model and it doesn't ride lower then the civilian modelto my knowledge and being an avid enthusiast and owner. Unlike the Tahoe, the Explorer does not come with either 2wd or 4wd, just one option, plus either the V6 or EcoBoost engine. The chassis and suspension of the Interceptor(Taurus) and Interceptor Utility(Explorer) is the same making both vehicles in a fleet more easier to repair and service.

Status
Not open for further replies.