state police plates

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambill1

what kind of license plate is this. the plate had SP over MVT 04-01 on one of the newer impalas. also over at the south charleston station on the old drivers test course sits around 40 or 50 new impalas waiting to be put into service.

kandrey89

Feed Provider
Ewwww, impalas...
Stupid Ford is shutting down Crown Victoria production lines in 2011 I think :(

In my opinion Crown Victoria should be the only police car/cruiser.
Ford Expedition should be the only Federal Government/Agency SUV.
uhmm, rant? ^ :D

dwlyons

The majority of the vehicles purchased are by bid. It appears the current bid winner was GM. I wonder if it could possibly be a mighty O thing. After all, Government Motors?!

Seeing how Dodge is now a memory and Ford is discontinuing the Crown Vic. Ford will be back in a year or two with a new police package. They are still reeling from the gas tank issue.

Of course, if the green movement get their way, they will all be driving the new GM electric cars.

dintimid8or

Feed Provider
Usually the 04-01 would signify a back-up car from Troop 4, but I do not know about the MVT.

fredva

Feed Provider
purchases

The majority of the vehicles purchased are by bid. It appears the current bid winner was GM. I wonder if it could possibly be a mighty O thing. After all, Government Motors?!

Seeing how Dodge is now a memory and Ford is discontinuing the Crown Vic. Ford will be back in a year or two with a new police package. They are still reeling from the gas tank issue.

Of course, if the green movement get their way, they will all be driving the new GM electric cars.

Is the bidding open to all manufacturers, or can the state steer the specs toward a particular brand and then the bidding competition is between different dealers who sell that brand? I'm thinking it is the latter, or at least was that way in the past, but others would know better than me.

dwlyons

It is typical of any spec. You can write it so that only one manufacture can meet it. They don't have to name the manufacture, but they can even spec the logo on the vehicle if they want to tighten the requirments. The bidding is usually directly to the manufacturers and then distributed thru certain dealers.

The government agencies do it all the time.

I deal with building specs all day long.

I have seen the government spec a structure to which the total material cost were $2000.00. By the time they finished with the under the table contractor add ons, the structure cost over $12000.00.

It is a total waste of your and my dime.

himelrick

mvt

most of the cars with the mvt plate are assigned for inspections of garages that do motor vehicles inspections.I see one around Randolph County quite often,.used to be driven by a Sgt.out of Phillipi

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
a trooper friend said that when you see those plates they are inspectors for garages, troopers in spare cars, and sometime just any of the state police employees that need a ride places ( Office staff for training, stuff like that)

garys

Premium Subscriber
Ewwww, impalas...
Stupid Ford is shutting down Crown Victoria production lines in 2011 I think :(

Dry your tears, Ford will be offering a replacement for the CV after 2011. Might be based on the current Taurus platform.

If GM is still in business then, they will be offering a rear wheel drive Caprice police package in 2011. It's based on same platform as the Pontiac G8 was.

Finally Carbon Motors will be offering a purpose built, diesel powered police car sometime around 2012. That's if they can get the financing they need.

Dodge will likely be out of business by then, so I don't expect that there will be any Charger police packages by then.

Then again, maybe Toyota will offer a Camry police package.

Status
Not open for further replies.