State Police Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJY

Premium Subscriber
I've got a BCD536HP with large antenna in the attic. I program it by WiFi for the 23692 area code and range set to 50 miles. I still do not hear State Police. Wondering what the heck I'm doing wrong and or what else I'm missing.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Where you are, I wouldn’t think any other than the stock antenna would be necessary. Is the antenna on the correct band?

Are you using Sentinel to program the scanner and are you programming your own Favorites List? First, I wouldn’t use the database for the most part unless you are traveling. Create your own Favorites List, if you haven’t. If you want to use the database, you have an extremely large range (50 miles) selected. It will take a long time for the scanner to travel through the list. And there will be a lot of frequencies and trunked systems in there that you won’t hear, further wasting the time of the scanner. I would shorten it to zero or five. You will still hear more than you are probably looking for.

If you need a helpful website to sentinel, here is one: BCDX36HP Sentinel Software Manual

There is also a Mark’s Scanner page for the 436 and 536 that is helpful.

fredva

Feed Provider
Todd has a good point. At 50 miles, your scanner may be wasting time scanning sites and systems you can't actually receive and you may miss traffic that you could pick up if you limited your scan to close-in sites/systems. More isn't always better.

fredva

Feed Provider
You might also want to check your Service Types and make sure Law Enforcement dispatch and any other services in which you are interested are turned on. I believe the 536 uses a Service Type list but I'd have to check to be sure.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
This is for Vermont. OP is inquiring about Virginia

You might also want to check your Service Types and make sure Law Enforcement dispatch and any other services in which you are interested are turned on. I believe the 536 uses a Service Type list but I'd have to check to be sure.
Yes, pressing the SERV key on the radio brings up the services menu. The OP will want to make sure "Law Dispatch" and "Law Tac" services are switched on in order to hear everything state police

RJY

Premium Subscriber
Again...I use the WiFi and I'm located in 23692 and that's set in the scanner. I'm assuming it's pulling from a current Freq DB???? The antenna is made specifically for scanner reception. The only services I have disabled is Business. It's giving me a lot of comm that I don't care about but I wanted to make sure I wasn't filtering anything out. I've reset to 10 miles.

Oh...thanks for the replies guys....

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Again...I use the WiFi and I'm located in 23692 and that's set in the scanner. I'm assuming it's pulling from a current Freq DB???? The antenna is made specifically for scanner reception. The only services I have disabled is Business. It's giving me a lot of comm that I don't care about but I wanted to make sure I wasn't filtering anything out. I've reset to 10 miles.

Oh...thanks for the replies guys....

Again... create your own favorites list. It will work better

RJY

Premium Subscriber
Jeesh...I'm embarrassed. I'm not going to go into full disclosure risking everyone thinking I'm a big dummy but lets just say....there were a lot of updates I needed to apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.