State Police Unit numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

Earlier today, I saw an NYSP unit with the unit number of F109. Does anyone know what this means? This does not seem to follow any of the normal numbering patterns. The closest I could find off of Dave's website is that this would be a Troop F administrative car, with the rank designator of major (1). That still leaves an extra 09.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
I have seen some new vehicles in the Albany area with the same numbering sequence - G109, etc.

Not sure what it means. Guess I should do some digging and find out.

Kevin

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
F is the troop the car is assigned to. The below info is for Troop L (Long Island). I got it from the Fordyce.org scanning website. I would assume troop numbering is pretty much standardized throughout the State. Hope it helps.

Unit Identifiers
ADMINISTRATIVE:
L1 - Major
L2-L4 - Captains
L5 - Bureau of Criminal Investigation Captain
L10-L49 - Troop Administration - Marked cars
L50-L69 - Troop Administration - Unmarked cars
L70-L89 - Miscellaneous Administration
L90-L99 - Troop Communications

UNIFORMED TROOPERS:
1L1 - Lieutenant
1L10-1L49 - Marked Cars
1L50-1L79 - Unmarked Cars
1L80-1L89 - Miscellaneous Units

BUREAU OF CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION (BCI):
L5 - BCI Captain
5L1 - BCI Lieutenant
51L5-5L24 - BCI Senior Investigators
51L25-5L199 - BCI Investigators

PORTABLES:
6L1-6L99 - Administrative Portables
6L100-6L499 - Trooper Portables
6L500-6L599 - BCI Portables

sc800

Thanks, that does clarify the numbering plan. the F1 would suggest the major's car, but I'm not sure what the 09 means on the end (Unit number is F109) Maybe it is a misprint of 1F09, or something like that.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
ScannerMaster NY/NJ Metro Guide page 368-369 has all the info.
But from using that guide, I'm having a hard time figuring that one out.

If position 1 is blank (Administration), then position 3 should be blank, but its not!
Interesting

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Had some D100 cars up in the Watertown area today doing a lot of traffic enforcement on Route 81 - D102, D111, etc. I thought D cars without a zone number in front were troop cars out of troop headquarters - in this case D, F & G.

Mike

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Thanks, that does clarify the numbering plan. the F1 would suggest the major's car, but I'm not sure what the 09 means on the end (Unit number is F109) Maybe it is a misprint of 1F09, or something like that.

Yes, there would be a 1 in front of the #. Ex. a Troop L marked car would be 1L27

sc800

Had some D100 cars up in the Watertown area today doing a lot of traffic enforcement on Route 81 - D102, D111, etc. I thought D cars without a zone number in front were troop cars out of troop headquarters - in this case D, F & G.

Mike

This seems like the closest match, but as stated before, the numbering still makes no sense; if the 1st position is blank, the third should be too. I will see if I can find anything else out.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
The State Police added A LOT of new patrol cars in the last couple/three years -- that's why you hear investigator call signs in the 100's now, like 5D104 and the like. So cars like F109 or G102 or D106 would be units over the D99 or F99 designation. Just go with they are cars from Troop Headquarters and you'll be OK!

Mike

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I'm in Saratoga County which is troop G, Zone 2 and they would start off with "2G" thne their number

D

DaveNF2G

Since the Scanner Master 7th Edition came out, there has been some serious expansion and rearranging of the State Police. There are now a lot of "exceptions" to the numbering rules published there.

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
I know in B troop that the commercial enforcement unit numbers there vehicals as B22 B21 ect no 1 2 or 3 infront of it .Commercial vehical enforcement is troop wide

UpNYScaner

Cars numbers G10x (F102, G109) are new cars that have been added to troops as part of a new traffic enforcement detail. They are assigned to Troop Headquarters and not to any specific zone. They will be utilized in construction zones and other areas of in need of specific traffic enforcement due to various problems.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Cars numbers G10x (F102, G109) are new cars that have been added to troops as part of a new traffic enforcement detail. They are assigned to Troop Headquarters and not to any specific zone. They will be utilized in construction zones and other areas of in need of specific traffic enforcement due to various problems.

There you go. That goes along with what I said and makes sense with what I heard Wednesday.

Mike

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

I basically concur. I didn't know about the specific assignment to traffic...but they are Troop HQ cars that overflow past the "old" 2 digit numbers.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Are these units identifying on the air as "Gxxx" (or whatever appropriate troop) or do the troopers using these vehicles use standard id's, such as "xGyy"?

Spec

Much ado about nothing. Nothing has changed other than a few new cars. Units assigned to "Troop" have always been assigned a Troop Letter and then the numeric for the unit. Units assigned to a zone carried the "Zone" numeric before the Troop letter. The ID system was designed to allow for expansion. Further BCI often carried 3 numerics. More cars more radios.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.