State Police unit numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

Today I saw a unit with an unusual number M 1##. According to the State Police Wiki, M is SP Major Crimes Unit, but that doesn't make sense here. First, it was on a marked unit, second it had recruiting materials in the back and was parked outside of John Jay College. It also had no AVL computer, and only one radio, most SP units have two, I believe.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Well given that it's CUNY John Jay.. perhaps they've been using the M designation for NYC cars to avoid cramming letters. I know NYC's pretty exclusively an investigative and liaison unit, but they do have a recruiter, and perhaps one or two marked units to use for things like that. That would explain why there's no AVL and no multiple radios- it's a non-operational vehicle for secondary stuff like recruiting. Perhaps?

comspec

Speculating of course. The M1## would definately be part of the BCI. If I was to take a wild guess, it is entirely possible that this was one of the few Crime Scene Units that may have gone to the college to look for future potential forensic scientists.

Like I said, a total SWAG on my part, but hey, its possible.

You don't recall the full unit number do you?

sc800

It was either M 152 or M 125. An older model Tahoe.

I didn't know that BCI/Major Crimes had any marked units. Whenever I see a pictures of a scene being worked by them, they are all unmarked with regular passenger license plates, and the marked units assisting have either FXX or 2FXX unit numbers.

warren

It has been my observation that the M units are Troop NYC, dispite what has been previously published on the internet and Scanner Master, Most units are unmarked, some iof the M### units are part of the Javits Center Detail. 5M## would be BCI or investigators, such as narcotics, DA Squad, etc. I have seen M152 which is a marked unit. 7M## units are outside agencies like DA, DMV, etc. 8M## are NYS Park Police units in the NYC Region.

bfurbeck

Today I saw a unit with an unusual number M 1##. According to the State Police Wiki, M is SP Major Crimes Unit, but that doesn't make sense here. First, it was on a marked unit, second it had recruiting materials in the back and was parked outside of John Jay College. It also had no AVL computer, and only one radio, most SP units have two, I believe.

Troop M is the designated Letter utilized for Troop NYC. Though there is no longer a uniform detail at the Javits Center there remains a communications center and recruitment officers(uniform) which utlize I believe three marked older style Tahoes with the M license plates. When they are not being utlized they are typically parked at the Troop NYC headquarters and available for SP personnel. This would have been one of those assigned vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.