state power outages/How much snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottb908

Feed Provider
Just looking at the live feeds and how many are down right now. I guess that is a direct coloration to the power outages around the state. I still have power here in Terryville although UPS has kicked in 4 times tonight. I have about 4-5" here of snow so far. How much snow is in your area?

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Only a couple inches of snow but i could hear trees crashing left and right during the 10 minutes I was outside.

Between about 5PM and 8PM, 88% of Somers was out and I still had power. Mine went out at 2019.

I'm running on generator right now and my feeds will be up until the ISP craps out.

I'll be shutting the generator down around 1030 when I go to bed and i'll be testing out my backup power system:

http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...ile-setup/222672-home-shack-backup-power.html

LedZeppelin

It's amazing how many towns that CL&P service are 100% without power. I've been lucky here in South Windsor, I have kept my power throughout the entire storm thus far, same with the tropical storm this summer.

Outage Map

Outage Maps

NC4AB

Premium Subscriber
Good luck with the weather tonight.

Pretty amazing to look at the CL&P outage map and see how much of the state is without power. I'm headed to Putnam on Tuesday, hope you guys get the power back on by then.

scottb908

Feed Provider
I had tree in the backyard come down, but here trees all over going snap crackle pop..powers flickered here 7-8 times but knock on wood still have power. Listening to my feed I heard fire chiefs vechical had tree and power line come down on it..

zerg901

Premium Subscriber

Unprecedented damage from this storm. Please prepare for worst case scenario - a week or more without power. Call 211 for shelter info.

(I received this at 945 AM EDT 10/30/2011)

KB1JHU

Only about an inch (if that) stuck down here in Milford, even on grassy areas. It started as huge snowflakes just before noon but changed over to a mix and rain by about 2:30pm. Changed back to snow at some point between 6pm and 9pm (was at a wedding reception so I wasn't paying attention). No power loss in my area of Milford or at the reception hall in Branford. Looks like the northern part of the state got hammered pretty good. Besides the weight of the snow taking trees and limbs down because the leaves are still on them, there's also a lot of trees out there that were probably damaged by Irene that just needed that little extra push to come down.

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
hardly any issues here in west haven although we did lose internet for a bit so my feed went down for about a half hour but while the power did flicker a few times we never lost it. so my feed did go down but it was a net issue not a power issue.

scottb908

Feed Provider
In Terryville lost power Sun about 6a hasnt been on since. I have been told the standard response that it might be out for up to a week. Heres hoping for the best and that it wont be that long.

scollier

How about some CLaP freqs while we wait? Easton got hit the hardest out of all the UI towns. Here we go again with the crews not stepping up!

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Here in Stormville, New York (pretty close to Conn border) had 16.5 inches after it started to melt, suspect was closer to 18-24 inches before. Lost 4 trees in front of house blocking driveway, that's after losing 3 in hurricane Irene. Lost power at 5:45 PM on Saturday, got it back around 11 AM Sunday.(amazing we are usually the last to get it back we are at the end of Central Hudson's territory) Both my wife and son have no school (Monday and Tuesday) wife works in Chappaqua, son goes to school in Carmel. My sister-in-law lives in Putnam Lake, right on Conn border, still has no power as of 11 AM Tuesday,her house was at 49 F yesterday, has been spending the day at our house, going home to cold house at 10 PM. NYSEG web site says her power due back at 11PM Wednesday.
Amazing storm, had to work Saturday in mid-westchester, and it took over 2 hours for a normal 1/2 hour ride home. Most people that were on the road shouldn't have been.

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Here we go again with the crews not stepping up!

You're kidding me, right?

I don't know about your area, but Northern CT was devastated. They just restored 15% of service in my town last night which is amazing to me. They haven't even finished clearing the tree limbs yet.

I can't imagine how hard the guys are working out there. Not like there is anywhere for them to sit around and drink coffee.

engine3

Premium Subscriber
You're kidding me, right?

I don't know about your area, but Northern CT was devastated. They just restored 15% of service in my town last night which is amazing to me. They haven't even finished clearing the tree limbs yet.

I can't imagine how hard the guys are working out there. Not like there is anywhere for them to sit around and drink coffee.

i couldnt agree more,,we ended up with 21 inches of snow
more roads closed then open from downed trees and telephone poles..100% of every town up
here was without power...as of today, most of Torrington is back and there making incredible progress
is the surrounding towns.

they told us it would be 14 days before power was back....i beleive it will be back by the weekend
in most of the area

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Watching the news, perhaps CL-P management is to blame. The crews that are here are probably working as hard as they can.

My town was down to 80% but is back to 100% out.

engine3

Premium Subscriber
these crews that are working to restore your power are working their asses off
doing a job that they couldnt pay me enough to do..(and i go in burning buildings for a living)
and all they see and hear is everyone whining and *****ing about how long its taking them to
turn your power back on

the northern half of CT is devastated,...theres trees on wires EVERYWHERE, theres poles broken
theres transformers smashed, this stuff takes time to fix, people need to be a little more patient and be a little more self relient,

i would really hate to see what would happen if something REALLY big were to happen......

Rob_K

Feed Provider
Well, I'm coming up on 6 full days without power. I got my cable back but no Internet.

Only lost one large section of a tree. Started cutting that up yesterday and will do some more today.

I'm still going to the UCONN game tomorrow....trying to get back to normal!

W2NJS

According to the Emergency Services Director in Roxbury, CL&P has 40 field people working on restoration of power in the town and it's a slow, slow process, although the town is eventually but slowly coming back on line. I once owned property there and I don't envy them the physical work that must be involved; everything from broken poles, crossarms, HV feeds, trees, branches, and residential drops, plus the fact that some idiot stole a length of cable that connected two sections of the town (copper thief).

Rob_K

Feed Provider
1 Tree Crew
3 CL&P Trucks
56 Minutes of work and I have power. Along with the 11 other houses on my street.

Still no Internet. See if that starts working before Thursday when Cox is supposed to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.