State Radio System

mrat1234

mrat1234

I also just saw a previous locked thread about the new system.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I also just saw a previous locked thread about the new system.

New systems take years to build and get ready for activation. I've been watching our county system, who has an active control channel, testing and adding TGs a few at a time. In the past 5 months only about 100 out of an estimated 400 have appeared on the system and there has been no real traffic (only test calls). The first license was cancelled because they didn't have a control channel on the air in time, and they had to obtain a second license for the new P25 system. So this is not surprising that threads expire or there is little talk about the new SD system.

Rlahey

Premium Subscriber
The only current site in SD setup and running is the P25 test site in Pierre. Current time line is for Rapid City to make the P25 switch in Julyish of 2022, with the rest of the state to follow there after. That being said, there is a lot of work to do. All of South Dakota is still Smartzone at this point in time.

KC0CCB

The only current site in SD setup and running is the P25 test site in Pierre. Current time line is for Rapid City to make the P25 switch in Julyish of 2022, with the rest of the state to follow there after. That being said, there is a lot of work to do. All of South Dakota is still Smart Zone at this point in time.
so is the state going straight to Phase-2 or stay in Phase-1 ??

nolinger

Premium Subscriber
If I had to guess, I would assume Phase-1 with the cost savings of it. Beings the state has waited until the very last second to convert, I do not see them doing anymore than absolutely necessary to stay up to date with FCC rules.

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The only current site in SD setup and running is the P25 test site in Pierre. Current time line is for Rapid City to make the P25 switch in Julyish of 2022, with the rest of the state to follow there after. That being said, there is a lot of work to do. All of South Dakota is still Smartzone at this point in time.

Do you happen to have the System ID, WACN, and control channel information for the test site in Pierre?

73's

Ron

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Looking like Pennington County will be the launching site of the first P25 simulcast cell in the state. The BIT has decided modify one of their radio licenses in Rapid City area. This could be the start of the new P25 rollout in 2022.

73's

Ron

bbtkd

Feed Provider
Any updates on this? Anyone monitoring the testing? Will it still be VHF?

bbtkd

Feed Provider
Found the latest version of that PDF above and other docs. Sounds like mostly a software upgrade to the sites and radios, and most radios will work on the old and new system at the same time. Once all radios in an area are updated, the towers will cut over. Sioux Falls and Rapid City will be more complicated. Network updates are required and proceeding. Current towers will be used, and still on VHF since no radio replacement is required. Suspecting frequencies all stay the same, and that talkgroups would too. Lastly, it will likely be P25 Phase 1 since Phase 2 would require more changes and higher cost. Looks like encryption is available as it is on the current system.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
BTW, the test site set up in Hill City is P25 Phase 2, which means many older digital scanners won't work.

Last edited:

KG7PBS

the system will mostly be Mix/mode on most TGs. so a TDMA aka APX radio can still talk to FDMA aka XTS Radio. that's the best for the price

bbtkd

Feed Provider
I switched my feed over to a phase 2 capable BCD996P2. I'll have to see if the additional towers being added in Sioux Falls cause significantly more multicast distortion. I live in a suburb so may not have much issue.

Last edited: