State Rescue Freq.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w4rez

msigmon3306 said:
W4REZ,

The MED 8 and MED 10 stuff that you found is the new and improved North Carolina Medical Communications Network. The communications wizard at OEMS revamped it and updated the equipment for it and it is used by Public Health agencies and State Medical Assistance Teams to communicate. The DTMF tones activate repeaters and ACU 1000's which allow these teams to communicate statewide. I've talked to the OEMS office in Raleigh from our station on Highway 16 north. Hospitals were provided with nice Zetron remotes to be connected with this system also.

Yeah this is the document I found. It describes this system in much detail. I can't remember if I saved a copy or not.

On those rare occasions that I get to work on an ambulance I always use 340 for hospital call in's--just an old habit.

If I were still involved with EMS I probably would too. I'm pretty sure all of the hospitals still have radios on .340 don't they?

msigmon3306

I WISH all hospitals were still on 340. We were having problems with patient notifications with one of the nearby counties on 340 so I made some phone calls and found out that the remotes were removed from the ED's and no one knew where the actual radios were. I was told that this county still uses the MED system for patient notifications. We took our UHF's out of the trucks a long, long time ago.

Another nearby county with two hospitals has 340 but each hospital has it's own DPL. So, I programmed in two 340's in our radios with these codes. They didn't work. Made some phone calls and found out that you have to encode a DTMF sequence to call their radios.

It's just about easier to call them on the phone. But I like radios.

w4rez

I lived in WV when I was an EMT and what I liked about a good part of the state was you didn't call directly into the hospital, you called into a regional command center and they would relay your information to the ER as well as approve orders for meds/MAST/etc. Now that the EMS system seems to have evolved to the point where Paramedics and EMTs are allowed to make more treatment decisions on their own I'm not sure if the system is still in place or being actively maintained or upgraded, but I hope it is. Cell phone coverage in most parts of WV is spotty at best, so I wouldn't want to depend on them for hospital communications especially if the patient is critical and they need treatment that has to be approved by an MD.

w4rez

Yeah about the time I got away from EMS they'd started moving toward that for a lot of things such as intubation that required orders for certain levels of paramedics (I think EMT-Ps had standing orders but not MICPs) They had done away with the MICP program, though, and I think they've mandated EMT-I now, so hopefully a lot of the "Mother May I?" game with Regional Command has gone away.

Gosh...I remember the most inconvenient places people pick to have accidents and heart attacks. It seemed that things like that never happened close to a hospital. I was only an EMT but the medics I worked with were hardcore.

msigmon3306

Yep, Cleveland. We slotted in two 340's for them in our mobile radio codeplugs, and we still can't talk to them. I didn't find out until last year why.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
My logs show that, at one time (2003), both were DPL 132. My logs show Cleveland Regional still with that tone, so I presume Kings Mountain is using another tone ... DPL 134 ?

And your nearby county using UHF med channels is - I presume - Iredell County. Which is kind of nice for me, since I can hear Lake Norman via med 7 down here.

msigmon3306

Back at work, checking my database--I'm showing Cleveland Regional 155.340 DPL 132, Kings Mtn Hospital DPL 134. But to actually talk to these hospitals you have to encode a DTMF sequence (or so I'm told). Our administrative vehicles are the only ones that have DTMF mics so that's no good. I could probably set up the sequence on our MCS 2000 radios sort of like MDC 1200 but considering that we only transport to Cleveland about twice per year and I don't think we've EVER transported to Kings Mtn, it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Iredell is still using UHF for patient notifications as best I can tell. My guys kept complaining to me that I had Iredell 340 programmed wrong, no one would answer them when transporting to Iredell Memorial. Checked, re-checked, tested, tested, finally made some calls and found out that they don't use or monitor 340 any more (or so I was told). And the only UHF radios we have are in the administrator vehicles.

Overall, 340 was a great tool when communications technology wasn't so "advanced". You turned to channel 3 on the old 4 channel radio, called the hospital, the transmission was recorded in the comm center, you switched back to channel 1 when you were through. If you went to an out of county hospital you looked their number up in the dial code book, dialed them in on your encoder and talked to the hospital.

Now, consider this--if we want to give a patient report via cell phone we have to call our comm center on one of two lines dedicated for this purpose. We tell the communicator to patch us to one of the two hospitals. The communicator then patches this call to the "bat phone" in the ED. This procedure is necessary to get the patient report recorded on the voice logger. Sometimes the patch disconnects early or the cell phone loses it's connection. Start all over again.

To call the Forsyth county hospitals you wind and wind the channel selector until you get to "Forsyth 340". You call Forsyth communications on this channel and request a patch to whichever hospital you're transporting to. Same with Mecklenburg county but you can also do this with 155.280 if you don't get an answer on 340. Overall, it's easier to call out of county hospitals on cell phones, looking their number up on the ever present "BAT PHONE" list that some motivated employee has compiled, distributed, and taped to the front wall of the ambulance (the REALLY motivated employees laminate their lists).

I've got about 15 340's programmed in our radios for any county we may transport to or transport through. A great tool but sometimes it's a pain to remember the rules for whichever county you're trying to use it in.

Last edited:

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
That's for the confirmations regarding Cleveland Co., as well as all the additional information. I had never given thought that an agency would maintain voice logs of the .340 traffic, but it really seems like the prudent thing to do.

Also, your comment on Charlotte and 155.280 (91.5) is interesting, as I wasn't aware Medic had given it a new use since Charlotte Lifesaving went out of business in 2001 (?).

I would think it would be a requirement that each county and / or facility have the ability to communicate on 155.340. I know Lake Norman Regional has access on the Charlotte-Mecklenberg system. It would seem that the Iredell Co hospitals get a large portion of patients from outside the county ... particularly Alexander, Yadkin, Davie and western Rowan ... so I wonder if those agencies are having to use cellphone contacts also.

Thanks again for the info.

CFP387

jeffmulter said:
It would seem that the Iredell Co hospitals get a large portion of patients from outside the county ... particularly Alexander, Yadkin, Davie and western Rowan ... so I wonder if those agencies are having to use cellphone contacts also.

Rowan EMS and Rescue has 340 in every truck, however when they are transporting to Lake Norman or Davis most of the time they can't raise the Hospital on the radio. They usually call Communciations with the patient information and they relay it to the hospitals over the phone.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have a friend with Cleveland county, so I can confirm any info if needed. I will remember to bring the 246 & pro97 the next time I'm there.

Status
Not open for further replies.