State-wide P25 network questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MA-radio-guy

All,

I have several questions about the newer statewide P25 network and am hoping I can get some answers from the experts here

1. Is there a document that describes which talk groups are available on which sites? I know the general principles like Boston talk groups are only be available on the Boston site but am looking for something more specific.
2. I have been trying to receive the Boston site from northwest 495 area and sometimes I can get it depending on the conditions. I can't get it consistently though... any suggestions (antennas, radios, etc)? I am using a 996P2 with a fairly high-gain yagi.

thanks
MA-radio-guy

gordon115

The only areas of the state that have P-25 systems are the immediate Boston area (basically inside the RTE 128/95 loop) and western MA. The system hasn't been built out in the remainder of the state and I don't believe there is a time table to do so as of now. In the Boston metro area State Police are on the analog system not the digital, the only exception is Logan Airport Troop F which is on the Logan P-25 system.

The only statewide trunked system is the analog system that has been in place for many years.

A

Analog-Surf-1963

All,

I have several questions about the newer statewide P25 network and am hoping I can get some answers from the experts here

1. Is there a document that describes which talk groups are available on which sites? I know the general principles like Boston talk groups are only be available on the Boston site but am looking for something more specific.
2. I have been trying to receive the Boston site from northwest 495 area and sometimes I can get it depending on the conditions. I can't get it consistently though... any suggestions (antennas, radios, etc)? I am using a 996P2 with a fairly high-gain yagi.

thanks
MA-radio-guy[/QUOTE

How strong is the control channel ?

That’s your first goal to receive.

Pete N1EXA

MA-radio-guy

I can receive one of the 700 Mhz control channels with 1 bar at times... and sometimes it is enough to pick up some conversations

I realize it is difficult to receive signals at this frequency from this distance but I feel with the right setup it may be possible

A

Analog-Surf-1963

I can receive one of the 700 Mhz control channels with 1 bar at times... and sometimes it is enough to pick up some conversations

I realize it is difficult to receive signals at this frequency from this distance but I feel with the right setup it may be possible

Sounds like your on the edge of zone 5 so your going to have go up to get over any obstructions.

Your in zone 3 you will get some patched in zone 5 groups

Pete N1EXA

MA-radio-guy

The Boston site shows some transmitters as far out as Arlington -- I think this is probably what I am receiving (773, 774 Mhz). Are you referring to the Boston site as zone 5?

There is also the Cambridge zone but I think the transmitter is in central cambridge (857, 858 Mhz). Is this zone 3?

If I can get the Cambridge site, are Boston talk groups patched onto it?

ecps92

1. Not that we are scannists have access to, we can only report what we hear.
Note it is NOT statewide yet, West of I-91, with pockets of Metro [700 Overlay] Boston, Cambridge, Massport and Worcester
2. What Boston Site ? Zone 1, 700 ?

For NW of 495 you are best to look for the older analog system, not the P25

All,

thanks
MA-radio-guy

MA-radio-guy

I want to hear the Boston talk groups (BPD, BFD, BEMS) -- my understanding is that the analog system only has state police talkgroups. I have been trying listen to the 700Mhz site and I get can get it occasionally.

The alternative is I can try to receive the Boston agencies on their 400Mhz frequencies... not sure what will be easier

garys

Premium Subscriber
OP, the system does not work the way you think it does. The 700 Mhz system is provides coverage mostly withing the Route 128 loop. Most users on that site are City of Boston or state agencies. Boston Fire has several TGs on the system, Boston Police has a few, but not very active, and Boston EMS has no active TGs on the 700 system. Most of the Boston Fire TGs are encrypted. Channels 1-4 and a TG for fire alarm construction are clear, but all of the other TGs are encrypted. You'll also hear DCR units on the 700 system. Occasionally, you'll hear MassPort Fire on the 700 system, as well as MassPort Police.

The analog 800Mhz system has mostly MSP traffic, but there are several non MSP agencies that are on there as well. MassDOT has several TGs, as does MEMA, DOC, and other agencies.

Note that the Cambridge, MassPort, Worcester sites operate as separate systems. You will not hear MSP radio traffic on those sites except under very rare circumstances.

If you want to listen to Boston PD, FD, and EMS, your best bet is to try to get them on their UHF analog channels.

There is also considerable overlap of Talk Groups on the analog Zones. So, you'll hear some Troop H and Troop A traffic on Zone 8, which is mostly in Worcester County. You'll hear Troop C traffic on Zone 5. You'll also hear Troop B traffic on Zone 8. You'll hear the Environmental Police on every Zone since they are a smaller statewide agency.

There is a very good description of how the MSP system work on the Wiki at Scan-ne.net.

MA-radio-guy

Thanks for the info on the 700Mhz overlay.. I was under the impression that there were more talk groups patched from Boston agencies

I'll work on a UHF analog solution..

I should probably start a new thread for this question but do you know if the UHF analog transmitter sites are located in similar locations? (i.e. so I could use a single yagi for all agencies)

garys

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of Boston agencies on the 700Mhz overlay. Public works, Sanitation, Transportation, Park Rangers, to name a few. So, if you want to listen to street plowing, or who is getting a parking ticket, there's a lot there.

Status
Not open for further replies.