Statesville testing on 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD70MAC

I heard Statesville Fire disp tell them they could go back to 800. The 800 plague spreads north,I guess this will force the VFD's that don't have the money to go onto this over priced system at some point.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
From what I can gather, Statesville Fire has had VIPER capability for some time. They may be integrating more radios into that system and leaving fewer on VHF.

As to VFD's going to 800, I know the south end has made the switch to Mooresville's system. I believe all their rigs still have VHF capability.

I am not sure what the departments in the middle of the county will do. Some of them have territory in fringe areas of VIPER coverage. Most of the north end cannot count on VIPER coverage at present.

There are only two VIPER sites in the whole county, Mooresville & Barium Springs. I would not expect an abandonment of VHF in Iredell anytime soon, nor would I expect Statesville to give up their VHF capability.

Other factors do play in this equation. ECOM dispatches everything in the county but Mooresville & Statesville Police Depts. I know ECOM has some type of 800 capability, as does EM for the county.

Drafin

I heard Statesville Fire disp tell them they could go back to 800. The 800 plague spreads north,I guess this will force the VFD's that don't have the money to go onto this over priced system at some point.

I can't speak to Statesville, but up here in the Caldwell area a grant covered the transition to the "over priced system". The VFDs are toned out the on the old radios/pagers and use VIPER for comms back to dispatch and on fire grounds.It even allows them to communicate with law enforcement and EMS personnel on the scene... cool how that works out without having to waste time communicating a relay back to the comm center.

Draf

jthorpe

I used to hate 800 until I started using it. Now I would never go back. Enjoy...

KM4WLV

I can't speak to Statesville, but up here in the Caldwell area a grant covered the transition to the "over priced system". The VFDs are toned out the on the old radios/pagers and use VIPER for comms back to dispatch and on fire grounds.It even allows them to communicate with law enforcement and EMS personnel on the scene... cool how that works out without having to waste time communicating a relay back to the comm center.

Draf

Thats good that you guys can switch over & talk directly with them now. Here in Rowan County (Salisbury) all our radios regardless of agency assignments have everyones talkgroups programmed in them. Big "interop" thing they have going on. They want us to be able to communicate directly with whoever instead of getting communications in the middle of it.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Tim I believe SD70MAC was right on the money about hearing Statesville say something about switching to 800. Their FD & PD either have or are getting 800 mhz radios for use on the VIPER system. If you monitor VIPER on one of the Iredell sites, you will pick up both SFD & SPD talkgroups. Mooresville has their own 800 system with no plans to join VIPER except for interoperability capabilities.

While Mooresville & Statesville FD's both use ECOM and the same frequency of 154.130, keep in mind their PL tones are different. MFD is multicast on both VHF & 800 bands, with 800 being their primary communications.

SD70MAC has mentioned in previous posts about monitoring Statesville, Iredell, & Mooresville FD's on VHF. ECOM too is playing with 800 gear and does have the switchover capability for VIPER.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
tad off topic, but for SD70MAC... is your nick refferring to that super locomotive of the same name?

SD70MAC

nickname

tad off topic, but for SD70MAC... is your nick refferring to that super locomotive of the same name?

Yes that is correct,I have been a railfan for years. I get to work with 1:1 scale now for the last several years.

SD70MAC

It seemed to start with one station at first and now it seems to be all of them on 800. I wanted to get the word out so the scanner guys could layout the talk groups. It just seems to be a waste of money no more calls than they have. But now the PD is very busy ,due to the areas they cover.

I have monitored Iredell,Mooresville,Statesville for years. I grew up in Mooresville so I like to keep up with things in that area as I still have family there. I been in Davie for the last 18-19 years now.

KM4WLV

I thought Mooresville PD was linked into VIPER also..... A buddy of mine who lives across the street works for Mooresville PD. When he is at home he his PD issued walkie on MPD Disp on the VIPER side to listen at home.

When he does that it causes MPD Disp to link through the Faith Site (Rowan County). I listen to MPD a lot here at home.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
I thought Mooresville PD was linked into VIPER also..... A buddy of mine who lives across the street works for Mooresville PD. When he is at home he his PD issued walkie on MPD Disp on the VIPER side to listen at home.

When he does that it causes MPD Disp to link through the Faith Site (Rowan County). I listen to MPD a lot here at home.

Very, very, very in-te-rest-ing!

Daniel, look for a PM coming your way.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
I am going to put this out there for information purposes

Here is the Viper Id's for Statesville, Mooresvile, Iredell Fire and Mooresville, Iredell Ems and Rescue

31632 Statesville Fire Dispatch
31648 Statesville Fire Ops
31664 Statesville Fire Admin

29120 Mooresville Fire Dispatch
29136 Mooresville Fire Ops

29856 Iredell Fire Dispatch
31872 Iredell Fire Ops

29872 Iredell Ems
31856 Iredell Ems Ops

29152 Mooresville Rescue Ops
31888 Iredell Rescue Ops

Of course there are more Id's for Iredell County which are to many to list here.

David

kd8x

I have never ever recorded a hit on Viper with the Mooresville PD but I have heard Mooresville FD on Viper....

Status
Not open for further replies.