Statewide Anti-DUI Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan-Denver

Anti-DUI push aims for 'Zero' loss of life

Statewide program to begin for holiday, run through summer

By Samean Yun, Rocky Mountain News
May 26, 2005

Gov. Bill Owens hopes a state patrol DUI enforcement program will mean a Memorial Day holiday weekend with no loss of life.

"We do not want to arrest people; we simply do not want them to drink and drive," Owens said Wednesday after a news conference outside the Pepsi Center with more than 100 police officers.

"While the numbers (of drunken- driving deaths) have been trending in the right direction because of increased enforcement and because of tougher state laws, one person is still one person too many."

From Friday evening through Monday night, every State Patrol uniformed trooper - including the chief - will hit the road, engaging in Colorado Target Zero.

Then, for three months through the summer travel season, there will be 120 sobriety checkpoints, funded by $309,000 in Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration grants.

Participating agencies include the Colorado State Patrol and police departments in Castle Rock, Denver, Fort Collins, Golden, Greeley, Lakewood, Longmont, Pueblo and Thornton, plus the Weld Country Sheriff's Office.

According to the state Department of Transportation, there were 644 traffic-related fatalities in 2003, including 215 alcohol-related deaths.

In 2004, there were more than 200 alcohol-related deaths among the 665 traffic fatalities, Owens said.

Colorado State Patrol Col. Mark Trostel said that last year during the Memorial Day holiday weekend, eight people died, three of whom were not wearing seat belts.

"This year, we are targeting zero people to lose their lives," Trostel said.

Troop

It's not going to be a good weekend for any violators...last year the numbers were pretty impressive..little weird having everybody work the road at once

Scan-Denver

I seen about a handful of people pulled over today along the I-25 corridor, makes you think either no one watches the news or they all like to tempt fate.

Troop

I think both!....but we failed our objective in Weld County...two fatals on the first day of the campaign...but that's about par for the course up here

eyes00only

Troop / It's nice when the Chief gets out on patrol with you hard working folks. I remember many years ago, I was in a company truck when I got pulled over by a trooper on a Harley. SHE informed me that the plates were expired. We talked motorcycles for a few minutes, and I promised HER that I would chew my boss out :lol: . You all do a great job.

Jerry

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
aspen/pitkin

anyone getting to the aspen/pitkin area for the weekend
l et me know -i have a pro 93 and 96

love to hear from ya if ur in the area!!!!!!
thanks ron

Troop

I think right now we have the best chief the patrol has ever had, alot is said for a man who works the same blacktop you do, never forgets his roots, and knows every trooper's name, not because that's expected but because that's the way he is.

rick521

We are working hard this weekend in Kansas too. Not only on traffic, but we are doing underage drinking task force this weekend.

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
Troop,

Just remember that `zero defects', or whatever term, is a `theory' and *don't* `flog' yourself, or the `system', if you don't achieve it! No matter *how* `foole proof' something *may* be a `smarter?' `foole' will come along and mess things up.

Having said that... Go get them! Our `prayers' / `good thoughts' / `hopes' are with you.

Just an `Olde Fart's', and his family's 2¢ worth!

rcborg

drunks

use to drive until health stopped me but I do not miss it saw way to many morons doing 50 in order to be first one at red light. Seems the more troopers try to do to save lives the more the morons do to kill themselves or worse innocent ppl

luck to you who serve

scanlist

Scanning since the 70's to today.
Yesterday morning during the commute on 85 near Platteville some idiot in a camaro sailed past me like I was standing still. 5 seconds later a fully marked 3A car went past me like I was parked and busted the idiot in the camaro.

Definitely made my morning!

Phil.

Its been a great weekend to log DTRS radio ID's with Pro96Com. Ill bet almost every CSP vehicle radio has been logged in several times during the operation.

Ive been impressed with the enforcement activity Ive been hearing here in GJ, and the dispatchers have been doing a great job even during the busiest time periods.

Compliments to all the folks with the CSP.

Chris
Grand Junction

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
pitkin area

pitkin and garfeild area's/csp using id 8100/vhf patch154.935 with craig
only certain cars have ability to talk back on 8100 other cars just vhf with 800 tac

rcborg

speeding

scanlist wonder if he played dumb as in " I only had 2 beers" I have zero compassion for these ppl used to work in insurance having to go thru the after crash pictures

Scan-Denver

DENVER - The Colorado State Patrol has had a very busy weekend. Troopers have issued 1,500 more speeding tickets than last Memorial Day weekend.

The tickets came during the first three days of the 2005 Colorado Target Zero Campaign.

The Colorado State Patrol had more than twice the number of officers out than usual this holiday weekend. That number is out in force again Monday.

The Colorado Target Zero Campaign is a traffic safety campaign to reduce most injuries and fatalities on Colorado's highways by 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.