statewide intercity frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golay

Is 155.370, which I believe at one time was the statewide intercity frequency, still being used or monitored?

The reason I'm wondering is this. I've been skimming a book about hunting, camping, fishing, etc.
One section talks about what to take out in wild with you. How to pack a survival kit, all that.

So let's say someone got lost or hurt in the great outdoors, the phone's got no signal, you get the picture.
Could they raise someone on 155.370 in Michigan?

Please don't turn this thread into the legalities of talking on police frequencies. I don't want it to go there.
And the chances of myself actually wandering anywhere that's not paved are pretty slim.
I'm simply wondering if someone in Michigan could raise help on 155.370.
Or has 155.370 gone the way of the dodo now that everyone is on MPSCS.
Thanks.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
It's designed to be point-to-point. Not meant to be used with field units. So while equipment may still be active, it may be very likely no one will hear you.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It's designed to be point-to-point. Not meant to be used with field units. So while equipment may still be active, it may be very likely no one will hear you.

A lot of these systems also used selective calling, initially Secode dial pulse, later DTMF. It would be a really poor choice of frequency to randomly pop up on.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
This is one of two interagency VHF frequencies.

155.37 MHz Statewide interagency

155.475 MHz Nationwide Intrastate

When I was in NY a lot of the Mid Hudson PD's had 155.37 MHz in their base and mobile units, some just base and a few just mobile. In theory 155.475 MHz could have been used between NYSP & CSP but I never heard a peep. Here in Florida (The United State of Trunked Comms) besides 8CALL90 155.37 MHz is still active and depending on the area, quite busy. Nothing on 155.475 MHz. I hoped this helped.

Supposedly all MPSCS sites have 8Call90. Repeat is kept off until requested by a regional dispatch center, who monitors it. Some have the other 8tacXX channels, but no one has been able to provide a list of which sites have what channel.

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure if 155.865 (MEPSS) is still used, but might be a good alternative frequency. As far as I know, there is no PL/DPL required. However, (IE: Eaton Co) a lot of updated 911 centers got rid of that frequency.

I'm not even sure if MSP or DNR vehicles monitor VHF or VHF-low frequencies anymore.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Supposedly all MPSCS sites have 8Call90. Repeat is kept off until requested by a regional dispatch center, who monitors it. Some have the other 8tacXX channels, but no one has been able to provide a list of which sites have what channel.
The 8Call90 repeaters are on the state towers, and monitored by the MSP dispatch center for that area. Non-state MPSCS towers having any other assets are going to be at the discretion of the hosting county/city.

Sent using Tapatalk

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Point-to-Point (155.370) and MEPSS (155.865) are pretty much extinct wherever agencies have switched to MPSCS. P-t-P is still in the RRDB as a nationwide VHF mutual aid channel, but I doubt you'll find anyone using it much. Our dispatch center dumped it around 2002-ish to make room in our Centracom consoles for something else, and dumped MEPSS in 2006 when we switched to MPSCS. Indiana used to use Point extensively, but not since they switched to SAFE-T. I haven't checked lately, but I'm sure we let our license for Point expire.
(And MEPSS was a great idea in its day, until 155.475 came along....)

Last edited:

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Unless something has evolved in the last few weeks, I hear MSP D2 South using 155.37. Not daily or regularly but I do catch traffic on that freq often enough to keep it in the scan lists. And sometimes some of the western wayne communities passing BOL's and so forth. From what I recollect its 100% dispatch to dispatch. I always found it interesting that even with all the new wiz bang latest and greatest interop digital back boned integrated complicatedly simple to use systems that a VHF point to point would still have traffic.

I liken it to the fabled "red phone" on the presidents desk, lol.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
I recently installed intercity on a backup dispatch console. I wasn't able to reach anyone on that. Same thing at another location I was working at.

kd8ati

Feed Provider
I know for sure that 155.370 is still fairly active in the Detroit area as a dispatch to dispatch channel. A lot of agencies in Wayne Co west of Detroit, southern Oakland CO (Southfield, Farmington Hills, and Novi) and MSP Station 20 all use it.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
Back in the day, MSP Operations used to broadcast blockades on Point. "EAST LANSING TO ALL STATIONS, STAND BY TO COPY INGHAM COUNTY BLOCKADE A-ADAM WHICH IS NOW IN EFFECT..." Fond memories.....

scanmanmi

let's say someone got lost or hurt in the great outdoors, the phone's got no signal, you get the picture.

That's one reason I got my Ham ticket. Even if I weren't a ham I would much prefer to use a ham radio illegally that than call the cops on the radio.

drdispatch

Premium Subscriber
A lot of these systems also used selective calling, initially Secode dial pulse, later DTMF. It would be a really poor choice of frequency to randomly pop up on.

That wasn't used on MEPSS or Point, at least not in Michigan. MDOT had DTMF selective calling on their VHF system, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.