Statewide P25 Phase 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
Hello all

Ive heard that Delaware will be upgrading its current statewide motorola type 2 to phase 1 p25. Does anyone have any further information on this or a timeline?

Septa3371CSX1

Would they simply build off the DELWIN system or build a completely separate system? To me it would make more sense to build off the DELWIN system since only DOC is currently using it and you could migrate 800 MHz frequencies over as build out progresses.

troymail

Silent Key
I thought I recall that DELWIN was originally intended to be the State system but for some reason got relegated to being the corrections system. If I recall this correctly, I really don't remember why....

de784

Feed Provider
P25

I really dont see this happening anytime soon. Delaware is broke

chrishoerner

KC3KSJ
Premium Subscriber
I had spoke with someone from ncc div com who said that they were upgrading to phase 1 in the near future I asked if they would ever go to phase 2 and he said there was no need here. I think phase 2 requires more repeaters as some range is sacrificed as well.

Ive also noticed all agencies upgrading radios. Maybe Septa3371 is on to something, that could explain the need to upgrade radios as they would need 700 capabilities.

I'm a member at a firehouse, i'm not active anymore but I heard they recently reprogrammed. I had asked the chief why they changed radios a while back and he said that they had to because the old ones wouldn't work after 2018. There's also an article somewhere on the internet about Maryland first net that says as Delaware upgrades more interop possibilities would open. Perhaps one day a police or firetruck could just drive across state lines and never have to change a single setting on the radio.

troymail

Silent Key
Upgrades to existing radios happen for many reasons - could be end of serviceable life, a feature that isn't supported on existing radios, inter-operability with neighboring jurisdictions, and/or just staying current with technology (which may be part of the maintenance contract).

For example, my county had to do something several years ago to keep up with neighboring jurisdictions that moved to P25 (Phase 1) but we are still a number of years from getting a new radio system and going to P25.

Septa3371CSX1

I thought I recall that DELWIN was originally intended to be the State system but for some reason got relegated to being the corrections system. If I recall this correctly, I really don't remember why....

I do remember reading when the DELWIN system was first coming online that the plans were to put the state agencies (DSP, DELDOT, etc) on that system and keep the 800 MHz P16 system running for the counties and local agencies. I'm thinking budget constraints prevented that from happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.