Statewide Radio System Faces Obstacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrabs74

iamhere300 said:
Actually, M/A-Comm seems to be the grand prize winner for the
"interoperability - how not to do it" award.

Look at the kluge they are having to do in NY and PA to make their systems talk with P25 systems.

Pennsylvania and New York State are actually using the "new" M/A-Con (uh, I mean, M/A-Com) digital format known as "OpenSky" which is neither P25 nor monitorable by any scanner (it's worse than the ProVoice format as far as scanning goes), so to be honest, PA and NYS are apples and oranges when comparing them to the Okla. EDACS systems.

That said, PA is years behind schedule on it's OpenSky project; the major user of the system - Pa. State Police - is just now starting to test the system. Some PennDOT districts are reverting back to their low band freqs or CB radios for comms, because there are some parts of the state where OpenSky reception is poor at best.

dbestfirefighter

Dozer
Premium Subscriber
ctrabs74 said:
Pennsylvania and New York State are actually using the "new" M/A-Con (uh, I mean, M/A-Com) digital format known as "OpenSky" which is neither P25 nor monitorable by any scanner (it's worse than the ProVoice format as far as scanning goes)

Im confused Provoice IS NOT nor will it be in the near future, monitorable by ANY scanner, so how could opensky be worse. Im not an expert on MA/COM modulation options, but you seem to comparing green apples to red apples and not oranges. JM2C.

N

N_Jay

dbestfirefighter said:
ctrabs74 said:
Pennsylvania and New York State are actually using the "new" M/A-Con (uh, I mean, M/A-Com) digital format known as "OpenSky" which is neither P25 nor monitorable by any scanner (it's worse than the ProVoice format as far as scanning goes).

Im confused Provoice IS NOT nor will it be in the near future, monitorable by ANY scanner, so how could opensky be worse. Im not an expert on MA/COM modulation options, but you seem to comparing green apples to red apples and not oranges. JM2C.

Because since it is cellular in nature EVEN IF you could decode it you are not going to hear much.

But don't worry about it.

It's like a peeping tom complaining about the neighbors new drapes.

iamhere300

N_Jay said:
I really enjoy arguing with people who insist they are right when they are not.:twisted:

The FACT is that DHS (and all other Federal Grant Sources) do NOT require P25.

They do RECOMMEND P25, and use all sorts of words to ENCOURAGE P25 and DISCOURAGE non-P25.

All I can figure is you enjoy arguing with yourself.... But, with that said, it
is plainly obvious that I have no clue about what I am talking about, and I
bow to your plainly exhibited superior knowledge.

All I will say is look for the next round of program guidance.

Have a great day.

Life is way too short to argue

Status
Not open for further replies.