• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Static after unkeying on repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if anyone knows what causes that burst static when a radio unkeys while on a repeater. Does that have to do with the receiver part of the repeater not catching the reverse burst or having the squelch set too low? Also, why is it inconsistent? Sometimes it's a really long burst and sometimes not at all.

Clips for example: Static Example - Clyp

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
There are several things that can cause what you say you hear but it is hard to answer without hearing what you are hearing.
Squelch set to close to open.
Desense in the receiver due to duplexers not tuned correctly.
Open band conditions ect.

clbsquared

I listened to the clip you posted and it sounds like the repeater tail. The reason it's inconsistent is most likely because a radio is keying up before you have a chance to hear the tail.

baayers

I normally read more than post on this forum but this one caught my interest.

The data burst that you hear in each transmission are at the beginning so that is definitely not the problem. It looks as if the squelch tail elimination option on either your radios or your repeater has been disabled. This issue can happen when the repeater has either CTCSS or DCS tones. It is a lot more noticeable however with a DCS system as sometimes the squelch burst can last up to a full second. If you point your radio techs In this direction it is something they can check out and fix easily.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Was that all on one frequency?

I'm hearing several things on the first transmission:

1. MDC1200 pre-ID
2. A chirp from a voting comparator
3. An RF link closing with a squelch tail
4. The repeater hangtime ending

At :16 I hear a weak signal from a field unit with dispatcher replying through what sounds like an ASTRO Core. Is there a new P25 system being installed, or in use in your area? It sounds like they're patching things together.

The transmissions at :22 with Fleetsync pre-ID also sound like they're going through COR-activated RF links.

Was that all on one frequency?

I'm hearing several things on the first transmission:

1. MDC1200 pre-ID
2. A chirp from a voting comparator
3. An RF link closing with a squelch tail
4. The repeater hangtime ending

At :16 I hear a weak signal from a field unit with dispatcher replying through what sounds like an ASTRO Core. Is there a new P25 system being installed, or in use in your area? It sounds like they're patching things together.

The transmissions at :22 with Fleetsync pre-ID also sound like they're going through COR-activated RF links.
The audio clips were just examples I had compiled to show the long bursts of static when a unit stops transmitting.

12dbsinad

One thing to remember is "reverse burst" is not always compatible between brands. Icom and Kenwood come to mind and can cause squelch clash on a Motorola repeater even though the radio is sending reverse burst.

a417

One thing to remember is "reverse burst" is not always compatible between brands. Icom and Kenwood come to mind and can cause squelch clash on a Motorola repeater even though the radio is sending reverse burst.
...and the "Non Standard Reverse Burst" checkbox was supposed to fix that.

ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.