Static except when audio come through

canopy

I had to switch over from my desktop computer to a laptop for my live feed. I'm using a capture card into a USB port for bringing the scanner audio into the laptop. Since I switched over, during the dead times, the live feed is just static. Whenever one of the channels is active, the audio is clear and there is no background noise. It stays that way until it starts scanning the channels again. Any ideas of what could cause this? I have the audio input on the laptop set to just the USB port.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
What scanner make & model and how is your squelch set? What app are you using to stream to Broadcastify? No onboard mic port available on the laptop? Care to provide the link to the feed?

canopy

What scanner make & model and how is your squelch set? What app are you using to stream to Broadcastify? No onboard mic port available on the laptop? Care to provide the link to the feed?
Uniden BCD536HP, upped the squelch today to 17 (from 5).
Streaming via the scannercast software
There's a headset port, but the different adapters I used to try to connect for those didn't work.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
You're going to get some degree of dead air when streaming through a microphone input. No way around it without turning the volume most of the way down or utilizing wifi audio on the 536HP which I don't believe Scannercast is capable of. Personally I don't think it's that big of an issue on your feed but if it's an issue to you or others then I'd recommend using Proscan which has Broadcastify streaming capability as well as the ability to stream via wifi (URL) audio on the 536HP for a much cleaner sound, this would eliminate the dead air sound altogether which again isn't a big deal to me, I've streamed some feeds where the dead air "hum" is just as loud as the active transmissions themselves

Last edited:

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Uniden BCD536HP, upped the squelch today to 17 (from 5).
Streaming via the scannercast software
There's a headset port, but the different adapters I used to try to connect for those didn't work.
My free RadioFeed program supports the BCD536HP and the Wi-Fi audio. The Wi-Fi audio is crystal clear as it doesn't have the problems associated with wired audio connections.