Static on my Pro-164 when in car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

InHouston

Premium Subscriber
I live in Houston, and monitor the Constable's office on the trunked system broadcasted over the Tamina Tower in The Woodlands Texas. In my house, with an antenna high in the window, I get great reception. When I mount the same antenna to my car, and and drive around, I can't hardly monitor anything unless I'm clear of trees or going over an overpass on the freeway. HPD, comes in loud and clear no matter where I am; stationary or mobile.

Just wondering what the technical reasons are. Does the Harris County Trunk system operate on a weaker signal? If so, why do scanners have a problem receiving when moving and police radios don't? My house is well within the range of the Tamina Tower, and I stay within the reception area when driving, but get Rice Crispies everywhere I go on my scanner.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Robert

w2xq

Mentor
Assuming you are using the one duck antenna on the -164 both at home and in the car, do you get the proper reception if you are running on the scanner's batteries with the engine running? If you are running off a dc power cord plugged into the lighter, have you tested reception with and without the engine running? If the engine is running and you get noise with the dc power cord attached, then it is probably in need of a dc line filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.