Static on Palmetto 800 (PSR-800)

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhatnick

I haven't figured out why but when I scan anything on the Palmetto 800 (usually SCHP) using my PSR-800 I seem to get a ton of static. I was recently in the Fort Mill area (I-77 Sutton Road) and recorded some sample audio from SCHP 52 CHST exactly as I hear it (See attached zip for mp3). I can barely make out the voices, but there is an abundance of static in the in the reception. I will say when I did reach Columbia on I-77, the reception did improve slightly, but I can't seem to get rid of the static on Palmetto 800 frequencies.

Taking my PSR-800 on several road trips, I can scan North Carolina Highway Patrol, Virginia State Police, Maryland State Police and New Jersey State Police clear as a bell, but I can't seem to figure out why I can't hear more than nails on a chalkboard when I'm in South Carolina ;).

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 007.zip
    36.1 KB · Views: 116

LarrySC

Move closer to Columbia. ------------ We have the same problem here in the upstate but not as bad as yours. There are about 19 agencys using the Greenvile twr #35 but the SCHP is the only one with this problem. Try locating a persons email assoc w/ PAL800 on their web site and send it to them. Good Luck. Larry

SCPD

QRT
I have those same problems. I've found it's usually while I'm mobile and when it's an analog TG or all Analog system, whenever I stop it comes in clear. Were you mobile?

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
Same problem in Augusta area with PSR-800 on analog 800. Especially bad near cell phone towers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AB4BF

Premium Subscriber
I experienced the static for a while last week. I believe it co-incided with a coronal mass ejection the sun had. It seemed to be a pretty big one. I had thought that the higher frequencies were immune to solar induced static, but now I believe it affects them somewhat.

redhatnick

I was at the Love's Travel Stop off Sutton Road on I-77 in Fort Mill.

Looking at the site, my PSR-800 recorded it as Holly Hill (H HILL) which is near Orangeburg.

I think this is unlikely, but looking at the database, both Holly Hill (H HILL) and Thicketty (THKETY) share the same alternate control channels so I think it was just confusing the two and it was most likely the Thicketty site. The PSR-800 does confuse sites if they share the same freq somewhere else in the state. I have observed this behavior scanning VIPER.

I wonder if anyone has had a chance to tinker with the data threshold values. Easier to Read PSR800 Digital Scanner Manual

I've never been on a system where I've needed to configure this away from defaults, but I'm curious if ramping up the values would assist in locking in a closer tower?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
It's been a problem here in the upstate for about 3 years. PRO-197 base and 106 mobile.

Larry, I am in Travelers Rest and agree SCHP is alot of static,yet Greenville city PD is clear as a bell on my 106. I think the problem lays with the SCHP equipment as even the TR police and Greenville county sheriff are crystal clear on the 800 sytem. What are your thoughts?

KMG54

Premium Subscriber
I only programmed the greenville tower, but I hear more from Spartanburg and Anderson than Greenville. My R75 is fed by two antennas at different times. I have a dipole about 100 foot on each side and a Par end fed with 100 feet of wire as a vertical sloper. Haven't decided witch is better yet.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Redhatnick - if you were in Fort Mill and trying to listen to the Thicketty tower, no wonder your reception was poor. The Newport site would have been closer to your location by a large amount.

The Newport site is known to have poor coverage in the area it covers. But that wasn't your problem in this case.

I have not experienced the static with SCHP that others have reported, at least not that I have noticed. Certainly ensuring that you are listening to the nearest site is important to good reception. I have adjusted the threshold values for the Palmetto 800 TSYS objects in my radios to 97 Hi and 90 Low. This doesn't work perfectly but I think it helps, especially with a 3dB gain 800MHz antenna on the vehicle when I'm travelling.

I have also broken Palmetto 800 up into "regional" systems in my configurations so that I'm not trying to scan all 62 sites at once. I have 3-4 sites in each TSYS object. That leads to a lot of duplication of talk groups, but with V-scanners it is manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.