static problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

towho

I have been using digital scanners since they came out and even know how to program them. I am working on a 396xt digital and a 996xt. I am getting static before officers talk and dispatch. It also gets hung up and stays staticy. My question is why. I am listening to OPP.
I am wondering about the p25 settings. Hold times and anything else that can help before I smash the Crap out of them.
I am listening to the primrose tower and Edgar tower.
Please help is it something in the programming I am missing.

XTS3000

Is your firmware up to date? What systems are giving you this problem? Trunking or conventional P25 frequency? Is your P25 setting set to Auto or Manual?

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
try to change the "digital end code setting".. whatever you got it as now try to change it to the other setting

towho

Trunking for opp. I have tried new antennas. I have changed locations of where the scanners are located. Have the band plans set. Uppers and lowers for the 996xt. It's driving me nuts. It's a static before transmission and after. Sometimes it gets hung up. Squelch is set around half. Hold time is 10. Going crazy. Have all the control numbers in. Not just the two mains.

mciupa

Database Admin
I think you should follow torontokris's advice. I had this problem once before.
Make sure the end code is Analog+Digital. I had mine set on Ignore and it would hang on transmissions.

Use your software to locate this option or you'll have to do some digging to find it on the dial manually.

RyanAC

When you say "static" do you mean a control channel type sound? If so, I had the same problem in a bad way. Improving reception with a better antenna and better location helped a little, but the problem was persistent. Definitely try what torontokris and mciupa suggest for setting end code. You'll find it in 'edit system options' if you're programming manually.

In conjunction with that, try setting each and every channel's audio type (found in the 'edit channel' menu) to the type listed in the database. Until a few weeks ago, when I did a programming overhaul in my 996XT, I had most of the Fleetnet TG's set to 'all;' then I set all of my channels to either 'digital' or 'analog' as listed in the database. I haven't had the issue since.

I hope this helps: "brahahahahahahaha" is really annoying every other tx when you're trying to follow an unfolding situation!

towho

What I mean by static is...well the best way to describe it..is remember when fire was conventional and the squealch was to low and all you heard was static. Or a cb that has a lot of noise but no talking. That's the sound. It sticks on like that sometimes. The major problem is the static before the start a transmission and after. It's about 3-4 seconds worth and then talking. Cars or dispatch. Only on OPP. not ambulance ...

RyanAC

What I mean by static is...well the best way to describe it..is remember when fire was conventional and the squealch was to low and all you heard was static. Or a cb that has a lot of noise but no talking. That's the sound. It sticks on like that sometimes. The major problem is the static before the start a transmission and after. It's about 3-4 seconds worth and then talking. Cars or dispatch. Only on OPP. not ambulance ...

Yes, that sounds like the problem I was having.

lukaradio

I get the same type of "static" noise and it also hangs on my 396xt.......but it is very very seldom, maybe only happens 0.5% of the time. Can't offer you any help but just thought I would mention I understand what your saying so your not crazy.

towho

Ok thanks guys. Nothing seems to work new antenna moved it around moved scanner from one room to another tried reprogramming it with just control towers a and b. Nothing seems to help. Think it's hammer time....Lmao

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
....new antenna....
As in different antenna but still just attached to the radio (duckie?)??

Try to get something, even very basic, to put outside or even just propped up in a window and a short coax lead. Even enough to put the antenna near the ceiling can make a big difference.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber

I get something like this from time to time when I monitor Brantford which is sometimes noisy, after a conversation with digital, OPP, just static that keeps the talkgroup stuck.

I moved around the antenna's and the radio's and the problem pretty much went away.

mciupa

Database Admin
. . . but did you check the end code in your programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.