• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Station Alerting System (Humming Issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

treyboothe

So we have completed a station alerting system (Audio only). Which is really just a 70v audio system attached to a mobile radio. Below are the photos of the system.
(Ignore the mess with the rack, we're still in the process of finishing it up)
Amplifier with rack mounted volume controls. This is mounted in our server room where access is restricted to a few admin and IT personnel. Hopefully in the future we will replace the m1225.
1615659154707.png

Below is diagram for the audio system. Everything is wired with 16 awg twisted pair.
1615659955756.png

RFS BA1012-1 Antenna with 1/2" Hardline, polyphaser is inside the server room mounted to a grounded bus bar.
File_001.jpeg

After I grounded the antenna, we have a low level hum which is annoying for some of our personnel. When I run test audio (music from my phone) the audio does not have this hum. Should placing a ground isolator after the audio out of the radio fix this issue? Any other thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Indeed an isolation transformer is needed.

But I would be careful with that Mpow device. It is a stereo device, like most and it has a stereo jack. The radio speaker jack may be different. Or it may plug and play just fine. You are using only one of the two channels.

I assume it has transformers inside . Some cheapies don't. You will have to make sure that you connect the radio speaker output to exactly one input transformer and the PA input to the secondary of that same transformer and that there is no DC continuity between the two. It also has a tiny transformer which means it may saturate on any DC differential from the radio speaker output and on loud audio. There are probably commercial PA audio isolation transformers that are suitable.

treyboothe

And while you're at it, run a ground wire from your antenna clamps to a good suitable ground or follow the coax back to the buss bar. By code it needs to be grounded.
Didn’t realize the antenna clamps also needed to be grounded. Thanks for the info. This was installed through our local dealer to avoid any code violations or grounding issues like that. Starting to loose faith in them especially after this installation. I guess if you want it done right you’ll have to do it yourself. :D

Last edited:

12dbsinad

Didn’t realize the antenna clamps also needed to be grounded. Thanks for the info. This was installed through our local dealer to avoid any code violations or grounding issues like that. Starting to loose faith in them especially after this installation. I guess if you want it done right you’ll have to do it yourself. :D
Don't feel bad, 75 percent of antenna installations I see are not properly grounded. Most antenna's are direct DC grounded thru the support pipe/clamps. This isn't limited to LMR antenna's. TV antenna's, satellite dishes, etc. all need to be directly grounded per the NEC. A lot of TV dish mounts for example provide a specific grounding location, though this is commonly overlooked.

I concur about the done right, do it yourself statement. That's why I have a endless amount of projects to do.

Last edited:

treyboothe

You didn't specify what audio you took from the 1225. Is it speaker audio or discriminator ? I have seen hum using the speaker level audio.
Sorry I forgot to mention that, it is ran by the discriminator/flat audio.

cmdrwill

You need the Filtered Squelched audio and that is on the radio's 16 pin connector Pin 11. That 'audio' will be low level and should go to the AUX input on the audio amp.

treyboothe

Update, the hum has now diminished (barely audible) once I tried a different ground isolator. Happy with the results considering it's analog. I'll have higher expectations when we switch to p25.

Status
Not open for further replies.