Station identification hear on one scanner and not the other

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
I noticed the other day when I was listening to two of my scanners that one scanner, pro 2067 and the other a BCD 966P2 was picking up a Morse code signal every now and then while listening to a local PD. I was playing around and I put the RS pro 2067 to listen to a local PD, and every once in a while I would hear that Morse code on the 2067 but not on the 966P2. I rarely listen to that frequency on the 2067, but it does sound that Morse code, which I'm assuming is a station identification, and the 996P2 doesn't. Does anyone out there have a possible explanation to this bizarre finding?

RFI-EMI-GUY

Are you using CTCSS tone squelch on the 996P2? Likely the morse ID is sent without tone.

Rawkee1

Premium Subscriber
I should of figured that out. You guys are right, the 996p2 has the PL tone sent and the Radio Shack is no tone. Do many departments do the Morse code thing? How often are they required to do it?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I should of figured that out. You guys are right, the 996p2 has the PL tone sent and the Radio Shack is no tone. Do many departments do the Morse code thing? How often are they required to do it?

Most repeaters outside the ham radio bands are set up this way.
CW ID is not sent with CTCSS or DCS so the end users (read: schmuck with the radio) doesn't have to listen to it.
Your scanner without PL/DPL tone will hear it.
Your scanner with PL/DPL tone will not hear it.

Repeater ID is required every 30 minutes, per § 90.425

Last edited: